My ramps are starting to blossom.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
Here are a couple of pictures of the Ramp blossoms. They are just now starting to open up , and it looks like they will be a light lavender similar in appearance to a Chive blossom. They smell like garlic, and are about the size of a golf ball.
I have been using the stalk of the Ramps in soups, and anything that a green onion could be used in,since last fall, then I let them grow so they would flower and go to seed late this spring. I have transplanted some of them to other area of the yard, so I will have even more by this fall hopefully, and I will save the seeds, and plant more.
image.jpg [/ATTACH] image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
They look really pretty! Light lavender is a lovely color, I like it very much. I'm not a big fan of the smell of garlic though:p Thank you for sharing these pictures with us:)

Reaction score
Very nice! I miss having ramps since moving from Kentucky. I once had them on a pizza, it wasn't too bad. Did you find them in the wild and then transplant to your yard?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
We moved into this old trailer as caretakers last year, and the ramps were growing right by the house, so I think that someone probably planted them there at some time. I didn't know what they were, but the landlord told us that they were some kind of wild onion or garlic, so I looked online until I found a picture that looked like them, and it was ramps.
I cut the tops all winter long, and used them like you would green onion tops, in all my winter soups and stews, and they were great ! I didn't use any of the bulbs because I wanted them to keep growing and spread, and then, this spring, I replanted some of them, so hopefully, I will have an even larger crop by this fall.
The article said they would flower, go to seed, and then die back for the summer, and that seems to be what they are doing now.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ramps (Allium tricoccum) is a broad-leaved onion native to central and eastern North America.
However, the flowers shown in the OP are not those of Allium tricoccum.
It is hard to say for certain, without more information, but the flowers shown, might be those of Leeks (Allium ampeloprasum var. porrum)

Ask a Question