My passion flower

Reaction score
No doubt your passion flower is definitely taking over. Looks like it's about to start growing on the house as well. You might need to slow the growth on the house because eventually you'll have problems with potential wood rotting. However, some say that vines growing up walls may actually protect the walls (brick walls)... read that from the text attached to the image below...

article-1278430-0993F02D000005DC-397_468x615.jpg

This is the text below the image:

"A team of scientists claims that rather than damaging walls, ivy positively protects them by acting as a thermal shield'"

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I cut it and pull it out by the roots every month and even sprayed it with weed killer under the deck and front porch .Stubborn plant

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Passionflowers look so exotic and weird - in a good way. They're beautiful . I wish they grew in my climate zone.
Taskeinc, I love this picture, I could live in a house like this:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
They are so pretty. Do you grow these in pots or can they grow in a garden?

It's a vine, Lindsay, so depending on the growing conditions you might be able to grow a small-ish one in a decent sized pot. You'd probably have to feed it a lot though to encourage growth and flowering.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I planted mine 9 years ago and there are shoots from it every where and got 30 of the fruit last year from them .They taste like a peach but sweeter .I have given lots of shoots away also .I have ten of them now for people to pick up that want them for there deck trellis and a garden trellis and i warned them how aggressive these are .I hope they understand .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I planted mine 9 years ago and there are shoots from it every where and got 30 of the fruit last year from them .They taste like a peach but sweeter .I have given lots of shoots away also .I have ten of them now for people to pick up that want them for there deck trellis and a garden trellis and i warned them how aggressive these are .I hope they understand .

Do Passionflowers produce fruits? If yes, then I want to grow them even more!:D It would be wonderful to eat something sweeter than peach, I love sweet things. I try to avoid eating sweets so delicious fruits like these would be a great help:)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The pic you see in my post shows the fruit and yes it is very sweet and tastes similar to a peach Takes around 4 or 5 years in the right conditions to produce fruit .

Reaction score
It all depends on the variety of Passiflora you are growing, I have some exotic deep red/burgundy exotics growing in my heated conservatory that are very tender, and then I have a very hardy species that has flowers very much like the ones in your photo, they flower all spring and fruit all winter and have survived -19 below zero here in the UK, there are two vines that grow all along the length of one of my fences intertwined with montana, the contrast of purple flowers with the pink Montana is lovely. And it never ceases to amaze me how they always start to fruit in late autumn and ripen through the winter. Ive never had any fruit during the heat of summer.

Nath

Reaction score
Very beautiful plants, I have always loved passion flower but have never grown them. I really haven't had the right conditions to do it but hopefully one of these days I will!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
How gorgeous these passion flowers are! I have only see them in pictures, but not in real life once yet! I don't think we have them here in Michigan. They look showy, and amazing with all the detail.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Do Passionflowers produce fruits? If yes, then I want to grow them even more!:D It would be wonderful to eat something sweeter than peach, I love sweet things. I try to avoid eating sweets so delicious fruits like these would be a great help:)

Claudine, you have to have two plants that cross pollinate in order to get fruit. Someone in my plant swapping group managed to get one single fruit from a vine last year. We got some in at the store and they sold quickly. I had a maypop last year in garden #2. I had been hoping to propagate it, but now I'm hoping I can get a red one at work before they all disappear again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
How gorgeous these passion flowers are! I have only see them in pictures, but not in real life once yet! I don't think we have them here in Michigan. They look showy, and amazing with all the detail.

You should be able to get one there, though you'll have to protect it in winter. The vines will die back, but the crown will survive if properly cared for. I've read about people growing them in the north along the east coast so I don't see why you couldn't.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
You should be able to get one there, though you'll have to protect it in winter. The vines will die back, but the crown will survive if properly cared for. I've read about people growing them in the north along the east coast so I don't see why you couldn't.

Thank you! I will look into this and see if I can start one this spring! That would be so wonderful as the passion flower fascinates me! I am always short of breath to see the picture of it online :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Thank you! I will look into this and see if I can start one this spring! That would be so wonderful as the passion flower fascinates me! I am always short of breath to see the picture of it online :)

They are truly amazing up close! They look like something other worldly or like they come from outer space when compared to "regular" flowers. The purple maypop is the one most commonly grown here, but they come in different colors and there are a bunch of varieties.

Ask a Question