JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I traveled across the state yesterday to visit my uncle and aunt who I haven't seen in years.
My uncle was a photographer and has a collection of cameras. He recently upgraded his and gave me his old one.

This is a Canon SX40 HS. It's a little outdated in comparison to 2018 cameras, and a year older than my current camera, but it's almost exactly what I've been thinking about getting. The 35x zoom is a big deal, the swivel screen and viewfinder are great features that I've missed having. It shoots better in poor light compared to my camera. One of the disadvantages is that my current camera is a 16 megapixel and this new one is a 12, but it honestly doesn't matter too much depending on the situation.

IMG_2746 copy.jpg

Here are some quick comparison shots I took with my old camera (Canon SX160 IS), and my new camera (Canon SX40 HS). I kept the photos nearly untouched and completely uncropped so you can understand the difference in zoom and quality. I didn't worry about keeping the exposure identical, I instead went with what felt right for each camera in the moment.

SX160 IS
IMG_2744 copy.jpg

SX40 HS
IMG_1922 (2) copy.jpg

SX160 IS
IMG_2750 copy.jpg

SX40 HS
IMG_1927 (2) copy.jpg

I haven't used it enough just yet to get a complete idea of how this camera is compared to my old one, but that will happen over time. I also took this photo today with my new camera. I wasn't planning on getting this shot, but the hummingbird flew right up to me so I did what I could in a very short amount of time without scaring it away. This is actually one of my first photos with this camera.

IMG_1894 (2) copyk.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
JB: I see what you mean. They seem to have change the histogram! The clarity and lucidity seems to be that the photo has been manipulated in Ctl + Level in photoshop!

Lovely new camera pics!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
good job. I bought a Cannon 3 years ago for my Alaska trip. it worked out really well, still learning about it. nice zoom on it. compact for easy travel. took me several months of research to settle on it. different reports etc. have fun.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm well over 1000 photos into the new camera now. Starting to get used to things.
Luckily, Monarch activity is crazy right now, so they've been good practice.

IMG_2640 (2) copy.jpg

IMG_2678 copy.jpg

Notice how Monarch #2 blocked my shot of Monarch #1.
IMG_2765 copy.jpg

Red-spotted Purple
IMG_2838 copy.jpg

IMG_2892 copy.jpg

Ask a Question