My garden is almost all planted.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Today I see a few tiny potato plants in 4 rows. Soil is very dry from 20+mph wind so I watered the, strawberries, onions, Leaks, garlic, potatoes, lettuce & pac choy after feeding all the plants. I see honey bees and very large bumble bees on the, broccoli, strawberries, pac choy, blossoms. Today I will plant 6 tomato plants. In about 4 weeks I will plant 1 row of beans & 4 rows of corn 400 plants. I hope to get 300 lbs of potatoes from 4 rows. Strawberries should produce 40 gallons. Blackberries are always 15 gallons. I have 400 onion plants, red, white, brown, yellow. I'm not growing peppers or melons this year we never eat many of them plants take up too much space.

Attachments

• 101_8670.JPG
    101_8670.JPG
    375.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 101_8671.JPG
    101_8671.JPG
    353.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 101_8672.JPG
    101_8672.JPG
    334.9 KB · Views: 9

Heirloom farmer1969

Year-round farmer and lover of all of nature
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Today I see a few tiny potato plants in 4 rows. Soil is very dry from 20+mph wind so I watered the, strawberries, onions, Leaks, garlic, potatoes, lettuce & pac choy after feeding all the plants. I see honey bees and very large bumble bees on the, broccoli, strawberries, pac choy, blossoms. Today I will plant 6 tomato plants. In about 4 weeks I will plant 1 row of beans & 4 rows of corn 400 plants. I hope to get 300 lbs of potatoes from 4 rows. Strawberries should produce 40 gallons. Blackberries are always 15 gallons. I have 400 onion plants, red, white, brown, yellow. I'm not growing peppers or melons this year we never eat many of them plants take up too much space.
Nice !! I am tempted to set out a few early tomatoes but they're calling for some very chilly weather by the end of the week with lows down into the 20s.
Last year I set out 25 early plants and lost everyone to a hard freeze here in Kentucky.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Amish Garden store is stocked up early with plants. I bought 6 Big Beef tomato plants and planted them. Till soil, pull a string, hoe a straight row, dig 6 holes 7" deep 20" apart, put 15-15-15 fertilizer in each hole, put large hand full of wood ash in each hole, stir well, drop in 1 plant, fill in the hole with soil pack soil tight, make a levee around the plants, water plants. No stakes until April 20 just incase there is frost a 5 gallon bucket will protest plants. Garden is finished until I know it's time to plant beans and corn then it is finished. TV claims it will be 82° today and tornados tonight, we are in storm zone 3 that is much better than zone 1.

Attachments

• 101_8673.JPG
    101_8673.JPG
    299.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 101_8674.JPG
    101_8674.JPG
    330.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 101_8676.JPG
    101_8676.JPG
    354.5 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Wow, that is all looking really smart and organised. You have done a grand job there, and you must be feeling well satisfied with your efforts. I shall give you full marks, and you can pop in here and help me with my garden any time you like (y)

Heirloom farmer1969

Year-round farmer and lover of all of nature
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
The Amish Garden store is stocked up early with plants. I bought 6 Big Beef tomato plants and planted them. Till soil, pull a string, hoe a straight row, dig 6 holes 7" deep 20" apart, put 15-15-15 fertilizer in each hole, put large hand full of wood ash in each hole, stir well, drop in 1 plant, fill in the hole with soil pack soil tight, make a levee around the plants, water plants. No stakes until April 20 just incase there is frost a 5 gallon bucket will protest plants. Garden is finished until I know it's time to plant beans and corn then it is finished. TV claims it will be 82° today and tornados tonight, we are in storm zone 3 that is much better than zone 1.
Can't go wrong with big beef .
One of my favorite tomatoes to grow !!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, very nice garden! I wish I could do something like that in my yard, but I live in a wooded area and I'm basically in a bowl of trees. Only one part of the yard gets enough sunlight to grow, so I just do everything in containers. I have my tomato plants going in the grow tent indoors right now and have to wait until May to replant them into their containers. I live in the Poconos in Pennsylvania and it's still too cold to put anything outside.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Wow, very nice garden! I wish I could do something like that in my yard, but I live in a wooded area and I'm basically in a bowl of trees. Only one part of the yard gets enough sunlight to grow, so I just do everything in containers. I have my tomato plants going in the grow tent indoors right now and have to wait until May to replant them into their containers. I live in the Poconos in Pennsylvania and it's still too cold to put anything outside.
I am in a bowl of shade tree too. 60 ft pine trees to the east, 65 ft maple trees to the west, 2 story houses zero lot line houses 12 ft apart and 60 ft trees to the south. Potatoes, onion, corn, are the only plants that need 8 hours of good direct sunlight I have them planted in the center of the garden.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am in a bowl of shade tree too. 60 ft pine trees to the east, 65 ft maple trees to the west, 2 story houses zero lot line houses 12 ft apart and 60 ft trees to the south. Potatoes, onion, corn, are the only plants that need 8 hours of good direct sunlight I have them planted in the center of the garden.
I have a really big backyard but right in the center of it is the drainfield for the septic system, and it's a big turkey mound. It's like this huge hill in the middle of the backyard to the point where I can't use the lawnmower to cut the grass on one side of it. I have to use a weed whacker. I can only imagine the garden I would have if the ground was flat and there weren't enormous trees all around me.

I live in a wooded area on the side of a mountain and there is a lot of wildlife here. There's one doe who jumps my 4-foot fence and eats whatever she wants. Even though my backyard is fenced in, I have to put tall fences around my garden area so she doesn't munch on everything. Last year my sunflowers were not fenced in and she bit all of the heads off of them. She's the only deer who will jump the fence and come into the yard. I also have a big black bear who climbs the fence to see if I left the suet cages out. She got them once last year when I forgot to bring them in for the night, so now she knows where to check for potential food. We have a camera on the side deck and saw her out there looking for the suet cages. Thankfully she doesn't bother anything in my garden area.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a really big backyard but right in the center of it is the drainfield for the septic system, and it's a big turkey mound. It's like this huge hill in the middle of the backyard to the point where I can't use the lawnmower to cut the grass on one side of it. I have to use a weed whacker. I can only imagine the garden I would have if the ground was flat and there weren't enormous trees all around me.

I live in a wooded area on the side of a mountain and there is a lot of wildlife here. There's one doe who jumps my 4-foot fence and eats whatever she wants. Even though my backyard is fenced in, I have to put tall fences around my garden area so she doesn't munch on everything. Last year my sunflowers were not fenced in and she bit all of the heads off of them. She's the only deer who will jump the fence and come into the yard. I also have a big black bear who climbs the fence to see if I left the suet cages out. She got them once last year when I forgot to bring them in for the night, so now she knows where to check for potential food. We have a camera on the side deck and saw her out there looking for the suet cages. Thankfully she doesn't bother anything in my garden area.
I have a 4 ft fence with 1 small loud barking dog. We often have 12 to 14 deer next to the fence the loud dog keeps them out.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a 4 ft fence with 1 small loud barking dog. We often have 12 to 14 deer next to the fence the loud dog keeps them out.
I have a Pharaoh Hound dog and when she barks at the deer, they just look at her since they know she can't get them through the fence. At night, the dog either has to stay on one of the two decks we have, or have someone go outside with her. We have so much wildlife here that comes out at night, and I don't want her messing with it. She made an opossum faint once and I had to bring her in and then wake up the opossum so it would leave the yard.

Ask a Question