My fushia died

Reaction score
Maddie, I was thinking about trying that. What size bottle do you use and how big of a hole do you put in the cap? I'm not that concerned about my outdoor plants because it rains often, and I'm not usually gone for more than a few days, but my indoor plants are another story.
I generally use a half liter bottle with a hole made with a tiny pin. I shove it deep down into the container and the plant is safe for a week easily even in summer. the hole may be just about 2mm. I usually make one that is less than one mm.. for easy flow.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I will have to try it. I made a garlic "tea" to deal with a pest problem and I didn't have a spray bottle at the time so I used a bottle with a hole in the cap. The water dripped freely at first and then it seemed to have trouble. I suppose it could have something to do with the liquid (I added pepper later.)

I just found some terra cotta pots at great prices. I plan on transplanting my lavender in the next few days or so if time permits. If I can work it in, I can try using the bottle watering system then.

Reaction score
I will have to try it. I made a garlic "tea" to deal with a pest problem and I didn't have a spray bottle at the time so I used a bottle with a hole in the cap. The water dripped freely at first and then it seemed to have trouble. I suppose it could have something to do with the liquid (I added pepper later.)

I just found some terra cotta pots at great prices. I plan on transplanting my lavender in the next few days or so if time permits. If I can work it in, I can try using the bottle watering system then.
It could be that the garlic bits got stuck in the hole..garlic is sticky.. so the hole could have been clogged with the pepper and the sticky tea.. I have not had any issues with my bottle drip irrigation system so far.
I love terracotta pots.. I used to use only those.. but most of my pots are plastic .. only because they are more durable and easy to work with.. once I have more space I will shift to terracotta pots for sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It could be that the garlic bits got stuck in the hole..garlic is sticky.. so the hole could have been clogged with the pepper and the sticky tea.. I have not had any issues with my bottle drip irrigation system so far.
I love terracotta pots.. I used to use only those.. but most of my pots are plastic .. only because they are more durable and easy to work with.. once I have more space I will shift to terracotta pots for sure.

That could be it. The garlic pieces are too big, but maybe the pepper is the problem. I have a spray bottle now though; in the future I can just strain the mix through a coffee filter and put it in the spray bottle.

If the rain lets up soon I will go and get a few of those pots for the lavender and the onion at least..

Ask a Question