Newely purchased tomato plant died??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
First time this happening to me. The only thing I did differently was putting corneal is the soil at transplanting time. I found a worm in the roots. The stem seems to have rotted. I didn't overwater, but it has been rainy here. What do you think happened? The stem crack was from me just now. The plant was wilted and rotted before it cracked. Worm is last picture.

IMG_0058.JPG
IMG_0059.JPG
IMG_0060.JPG
IMG_0061.JPG
IMG_0062.JPG
IMG_0063.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
First time this happening to me. The only thing I did differently was putting corneal is the soil at transplanting time. I found a worm in the roots. The stem seems to have rotted. I didn't overwater, but it has been rainy here. What do you think happened? The stem crack was from me just now. The plant was wilted and rotted before it cracked. Worm is last picture.

View attachment 25653 View attachment 25654 View attachment 25655 View attachment 25656 View attachment 25657 View attachment 25658
That isn't much of a root system for a plant that size. However most of the roots are white which means good. I think I see a larger brown root which is bad. I think the plant just stayed too wet for too long. The worm is a red wiggler, a great worm to have in your garden or on the end of a fishing line.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Sometimes plants just fail for no apparent reason.
Maybe just a weak plant.
Who knows.
Always good to have back up plants just in case.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I bought 7 plants from Home Depot and only 2 is surviving (for now at least). I feel like maybe it was overwater because it has been raining nonstop.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I bought 7 plants from Home Depot and only 2 is surviving (for now at least). I feel like maybe it was overwater because it has been raining nonstop.
On the 2 plants left why don't you remove all of the soil from their roots by gently running water over them and then replanting in fresh potting soil?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
On the 2 plants left why don't you remove all of the soil from their roots by gently running water over them and then replanting in fresh potting soil?

Won't that cause transplant shock? The plants left look very lush and green. The last thing I want to do is mess with it.

I think I maybe applied too much cornmeal? I noticed that blight would form on all the leaves that was dusted with the cornmeal. The stem also got its fair share of rot. Maybe the cornmeal caused all of this.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Won't that cause transplant shock? The plants left look very lush and green. The last thing I want to do is mess with it.

I think I maybe applied too much cornmeal? I noticed that blight would form on all the leaves that was dusted with the cornmeal. The stem also got its fair share of rot. Maybe the cornmeal caused all of this.
The cornmeal didn't cause anything. If anything it helped grow a beneficial fungus.
If the roots on the two plants are like what is shown in the picture what have you got to loose? Just pull them out of their container and look at them. If like in the pictures replant with fresh soil. If the root system is large and all the roots are white then don't do anything.

Rey

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Tomatoes are hardy, even a sucker I planted without root direct without soaking in the water made it and now producing fruit.

Ask a Question