My first orchid

Reaction score
Country
United States
Good luck! That's a very pretty one! I've tried growing orchids in the past, and they do fantastically for a bit. Then, once they lose the blooms they had when I bought them, game's over.

I can, however, understand, how people become obsessed with growing and taking care of them. Ever read "The Orchid Thief"? Good stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you, Oboechick42. My orchid is still blooming!:D
As for 'The Orchid Thief', I haven't read it yet, but it sounds like a really interesting book.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Last year on Mother's Day, my youngest son gave me an orchid with beautiful blooms. I thought it will be gone when the flowers fell off, and since my house doesn't receive much sun, I was for sure that this orchid won't last long. I put it on my kitchen window sill, and just last week, I found it has some buds on a new branch, and some buds on the old branch. This is how beautiful the blooms are:
IMG_1226.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's a beautiful orchid, IcyBC! Its color is so vivid, I like it:)
My orchid doesn't get much sun either, and it's doing fine:) Who knows, maybe some of those lovely plants like growing in shade.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It's a beautiful orchid, IcyBC! Its color is so vivid, I like it:)
My orchid doesn't get much sun either, and it's doing fine:) Who knows, maybe some of those lovely plants like growing in shade.

This is my first orchid too, @claudine ! I have heard that it is very hard to keep orchid, and I was so nervous about it. Glad it blooms and I am so happy with them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I can totally relate to it. I was told more than once that orchids are very hard to grow. Now I know it's not true:D My orchid doesn't need anything special. It looks very healthy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
There is always excitement with the first anything. What a beautiful orchid.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you:) Now, I have many new plants, so I don't plan to buy any more orchids, but that first one will always be very dear to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you, PeaceLillyy!:) The flowers withered already, but my orchid still looks nice. Its leaves are very big and healthy:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I love growing Orchids, I have a few that seem to bloom all the time, I find them to be easy and fun to grow.
Cattleya Cherry fire
cherry fire2.jpg

Epidendrum Reed stem

Reed stem 1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Your orchids are beautiful, Fernsdaddy!:)
I completely agree, some orchids are very easy to grow. Mine doesn't need anything besides water:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Pat - what color do you plan to get?:) Personally, I love white orchids.
Fernsdaddy - that's very true:) But same goes for other plants. I'm hooked on miniature roses.

Ask a Question