My daffodils did not produce blooms...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
I was so looking forward to seeing my daffodils bloom this year but all I got were some sickly looking leaves and no blooms. This is the first year that it has happened and I'm wondering if it is because of the extended cold and every changing weather here in Ohio this Spring.

What do I do with the leaves now? I'm tempted to cut them back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I would not cut the leaves, only chance there will be to get som sun growth. Were these just planted last fall, or have they been around for a while?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Hi Mrs. Jones. Sheal is right. I know it's hard to leave the daffodils when they don't look nice but it is best for next years growth. I have to contain myself once the flowering is over as they look so awful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have a total different experience with my daffodils. For two years one of the daffodil bunches didn't flowers so I cut down all the leaves when I saw the other daffodil flowers have come and gone, and to my surprise, they flowered this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Hide your secateurs

No, no, that's to much like hard work, I use a strimmer! :D

Sometimes it can be luck IcyBC. :) Daffodils need to die back naturally because in the process they take up nutrients from the soil for the following flowering season. The dead flowers and seed heads should also be removed if possible because it's the plants natural instinct to carry on until the seeds are shed draining themselves of nutrients.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I no bulb expert but recently I did learn a few things.

Bulbs like a different ratio N-P-K at different stages. One is for near and active blooming and one is for late post blooming. The pre helps with the buds and blooms and the post helps the plant to store food and be ready for spring.

Leave the fading foliage (not flowers or buds) until it ready to fall off as it does feed and protect up until the end. If you don't like the shaggy look I heard some people bundle or even braid it into a decorative look.

If a plant (in the ground) does get frost damage, leave the damage on as will provide a modest level of protection against any additional frost.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My mom has a ton of different daffodils and they just stopped blooming too. We got a late frost and some of her newer bulbs did suffer. She will wait and clear the leaves late and fertilize everything before winter. They will come back stronger next year. We had snow right after I planted all my flowers. I am just now seeing the seedlings come up. Seems like a rough year for new flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
Thi is good info for future reference since I am fairly new at gardening. I like the braiding suggestion. The leaves just look so bad it's annoying.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
The problem with braiding or tying is that it restricts daffodils from taking up nutrients and can cause them to grow blind the following season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
These are all helpful suggestions. I didn't do anything to them and the leaves are beginning to die off. My first year with daffodils:(.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Even if it is just two years ago, if they were planted too close to each other that could do it. You can lift them in the green and re-plant them further apart from each other. But leave the green on. Or just do what others say above.

Ask a Question