Daffodils

Reaction score
Country
United States
We've got a flower garden that, among other types of plants, are several different variations of daffodils. Was nice to have a free cutting garden during the spring. Last year, after the last round was cut, my dear wife saw fit to cut back all the leaves. This spring, she's defending herself for doing it as there were twice as many shooters popping up when the snow melted. We ended up with a lot of leaves, but no flowers at all.

Are they a lost cause? Should I dig them up and replace them or leave them be until next year?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I would have the Wife stay in the house for now until the leaves die out on their own, I think they will be ok.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
We've got a flower garden that, among other types of plants, are several different variations of daffodils. Was nice to have a free cutting garden during the spring. Last year, after the last round was cut, my dear wife saw fit to cut back all the leaves. This spring, she's defending herself for doing it as there were twice as many shooters popping up when the snow melted. We ended up with a lot of leaves, but no flowers at all.

Are they a lost cause? Should I dig them up and replace them or leave them be until next year?

Thanks!
To each their own. Normally cutting does help flower better. Patience is the watchword here :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
One of my daffodil bunches didn't flower for years, so I cut down the leaves last year, and they flowered this past months. I think daffodils are hard to kill, and they might surprise you next year.

Ask a Question