Can daffodils grow through mulch?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm planning to make a daffodil bed and I want to keep the weeds out of my daffodils so I want to mulch the whole bed with cedar mulch but I hear some people say the foliage won't penetrate through the mulch. Is that true? I'm hearing all different sorts of things and I'm confused.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Well they grow through it here, no trouble. Tulips would be more trouble in that they like to be baked in Summer to ripen the bulbs, so a mulch would keep the sun off the soil.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
For a few years I had one gardening project where I had to plant both daffodil and tulip bulbs. I removed some of the mulch. I made the hole and removed the dirt. I planted the bulb. I replaced the dirt. I replaced the mulch. The daffodils and tulips grew okay.

the lawnsman

lawn and garden super freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have seen pictures of daff's coming up through an asphalt bike path.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
an internal clock system that mother nature sets with all her plants. that's what is done @DirtMechanic
Yes and no. Temperature has a part to play. Not all saying they will not try to come up after a comet strike causes a nuclear winter where the biometric clock you mention forces them to try to grow in a last ditch effort at survival. But if you bury them too deep they die. The range of life just under the soil has exactly that, a range. In my clay it will no doubt be different, and more shallow, than a loam soil for example.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I have seen where daffodils were growing through a stone covered area at a restaurant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yes and no. Temperature has a part to play. Not all saying they will not try to come up after a comet strike causes a nuclear winter where the biometric clock you mention forces them to try to grow in a last ditch effort at survival. But if you bury them too deep they die. The range of life just under the soil has exactly that, a range. In my clay it will no doubt be different, and more shallow, than a loam soil for example.
I did say that way above, -----------Yes, they should be able to. remember, by the time they are ready to come up, its been through winter and snow so some of the mulch has broken down. I would not re mulch until after the daffs are done.

Ask a Question