Daffodils stunted growth

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
This year I was quite disappointed when my daffodils were not near as tall in their second year. I was wondering what may have caused the stunted growth. Is there something that I can do to alleviate it happening again outside of planting new bulbs?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Did you leave the foliage after the flowers disappeared? Leaving the foliage until it turns yellow lets the leaves continue to feed the bulb for the next year's growth and blooms.
An application of bone meal right after bloom helps also. This won't help this year's growth, but if you do it this spring, 2016 ought to be a banner year for your daffodils!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don't know about daffodils, but something I was watching on TV said to cut the flower stalk after to help send the food back to the bulb. I occasionally trim the leaves on some lilies I started from seed so the bulb will get bigger and not work so hard on the leaves. I also give my plants epsom salts and potassium.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Oh, Chanell, you reminded me of yet another important tip--cut the flowers off the stalk before the little green seed pods start to develop. If energy is going into seed production, it robs the bulb of nutrients. And epsom salts never hurt--I even give them to our tomatoes!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
Did you leave the foliage after the flowers disappeared? Leaving the foliage until it turns yellow lets the leaves continue to feed the bulb for the next year's growth and blooms.
An application of bone meal right after bloom helps also. This won't help this year's growth, but if you do it this spring, 2016 ought to be a banner year for your daffodils!

I waited until the leaves were laying flat on the ground before I cut them off and I don't think they were quite yellow. It just looked so unkempt. I definitely will follow your advise come Spring. Thank you.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
If you are worried about the leaves looking unkempt, just make a twist out of them and tuck them under another nearby plant. They still fulfill their function of feeding the bulbs, but aren't so noticeable.

Ask a Question