Moving Collected Rainwater

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://www.durgan.org/URL/?CFGPT 6 June 2015 Moving Collected Rainwater
Rainwater is collected in four barrels, two on each side of the house. They are drained into a dispensing barrel and the water is dipped out and put into a wheelbarrow for moving around the yard where required.I find this is more efficient than using a hose and gravity or pump system. The milk cartoon is used to limit wave action when moving the wheelbarrow.
URL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Durgan, may I share your photos with a friend? She and her husband are planning to do some sort of rain barrel set up and I think they'd find this handy.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
@Durgan, may I share your photos with a friend? She and her husband are planning to do some sort of rain barrel set up and I think they'd find this handy.

All my posts are in the public domain. Feel free to use as you desire. You might find this of interest.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?XHGLB 8 April 2009 Downspout Rainwater
Pictures indicating a simple, practical method of utilizing downspout rainwater. Barrels cost 15 dollars and all parts are standard plumbing fittings. Any urban downspout system must address the overflow problem during rainfall. The large bung hole is a reasonable compromise for overflow. The height is such that a hose may be utilized for watering plants, but I usually use five gallon buckets on a two wheeled cart. The system is readily expandable by cascading more barrels in line. I have four barrels, two on each side of the house. the system is essentially closed, hence mosquitoes are not a problem.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ZVABL 16 April 2009 Downspout Water Connection.
Seasonal connections. The downspout water system was switched over to Summer mode by connecting the downspout to the storage barrels.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I like the wheel barrel for moving water around, I'm still using 5 gal. buckets to water my plants, after a few trips I get tried from lifting them. I'm going to try using my wheel barrel to carry the water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
We do not collect rain water per se but have pits for the water to soak in so that the water levels in the natural reservoirs rise and well water levels also go up Your idea seems excellent when rainwater is collected.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
What a great idea to use the wheel barrels to move rainwater! I need one of those barrels to move thing around. I collected rainwater in whatever I can for now and love the idea of saving money by doing this.

Reaction score
Uhm, interesting way to move rainwater around :) I might use it as well, I'll be living in a place where it rains quite often. The cartoon of milk is also a very good idea.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I like that! I have a very large stockpile of water, but there no such thing as too much

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I like the wheel barrel for moving water around, I'm still using 5 gal. buckets to water my plants, after a few trips I get tried from lifting them. I'm going to try using my wheel barrel to carry the water.

I went the five gallon pail route on a two wheel cart. After a time it becomes too onerous. The pails are too heavy to slug around. I can now drive the wheelbarrow around and spill very little.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have wanted to collect rain water but could not see I would be able to get it around to the different plants. I don't have a wheel barrel but I sure can purchase one. I like your method of moving the water around the yard.

Ask a Question