Moving, with my garden

Reaction score
Country
France
Hi all,

I'm moving from an apartment to a house mid-August and obviously my garden is coming with me. Having always rented (the new house is a rental as well) I have always had my entire collection in pots so transporting won't be much of a problem. Most of my plants I'm sure will survive the move fine, however...

...my adult Plumbago Auriculata is in full bloom and quite tall (+/- 3m) and I'm afraid that if I don't prune it back drastically it won't survive the move into the van let alone the 10km trip. So my question is: Will I do irreparable damage to it if I prune it back right in the middle of its high season?

Thanks in advance for any hints/tips/answers.

KR

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
ok, looked up 10km. that is 6 miles and a few for me. to me that is nothing at all. what I would do is plan to get the plant as dry as you can prior to the move date. put a bag over the pot and tie well at the base to keep the dirt in the pot. lay the plant down and wrap it gently in a sheet. and travel with it laid down in the van that short distance. at the new place, get it up righted ASAP, positioned where you want it. and water it then.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Just get a long box and wrap the whole plant up with tons of newpapers or bubble wrap. Treat it as a fragile item.

Reaction score
Country
France
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'll leave the plant as is and just wrap it up nicely. I'll tell the movers that if they break it they bought it :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
your travel is not far. if its the last item in the truck and first out it should be fine. and have it as dry as possible. I traveled across the state of Ohio and across the state of PA with tall plants. In fact one was a 15 foot Ficus tree, it survived that is a 400 mile trip. took 8 hours to drive it.

Ask a Question