Most ergonomic leaf removal method?

Reaction score
Country
Netherlands
Hi,
I've been working as a gardener for a couple years and would like some advice.

During the autumns I have to deal with some pretty intense leaf cleanup, removing thick layers all day for about 3 months.
Being relatively new to this kind of work my body does not receive this very well.

The first year I (probably) got tendonitis in one arm and last year, though trying to work as ergonomically as possible, both my arms still got quite strained. I still experience a level of pain/irritation in my axillary regions (shoulders, armpits) half a year later when raking/digging etc and am worried I won't have recovered well enough by next autumn to be able to do the labour required then.

I've been searching the web for tips but haven't found alot besides almost offensively basic advice like not overworking, stretching, eating healthy, taking breaks etc (not to neglect any of these ofcourse.)

The location I work is quite dense so I am not able to use trucks/large mowers etc.
Currently I'm planning to only use blower (previously I did a lot of manual raking aswell) and just pile as much as possible, maybe onto tarps, or else stuff into buckets and load onto wheelbarrow.

Is there anyone who has experienced and been able to keep working through axillary pains with leaf removal and any practical advice you could give me? Is there a better method with minimal strain on the arms?

Ask a Question