Minuscule flying bugs around indoor plants.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone! I’ve just recently moved house and I’ve started getting issues with tiny brown flies flying around all my indoor houseplants in one particular area. I can’t move the plants anywhere else and I’m really not sure what the cause is. A few of my plants seem to be struggling a bit and I’m not sure whether this is a problem or not. I’m unable to get a photo of them as they’re always flying and don’t seem to go on the soil etc but was just hoping if someone could possibly shed some light on this for me? Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Chloe98 :)
The problem you outline will more than likely be sciarid fly. The little flies lay their eggs, and the resulting larvae chew the roots of your plants. Sticky yellow traps are easy to find on line if you are not going out much at the moment (like us) Very wet compost around your plants are a sure invitation to the flies.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
thank you! Will get some sticky traps and dry the plants out to see if it’ll help.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If there is a lot of activity from the larvae eating the roots, it may help to repot your plants, cleaning away as much old compost as possible.
Winter over watering can cause lots of problems, with house plants especially, but now, with warmer weather (hopefully soon :rolleyes:) it`s about time for a feed and a spruce up !!

Ask a Question