Flying snails?!

Reaction score
Country
Israel
Hello,

A few days ago, I noticed some rather strange patterns on my "Okra" ( Abelmoschus esculentus ) - "Ladies' fingers".
Those patterns look similar to the trails that snails leave behind them.

The problem is, It is impossible, and for a number of reasons:

1. I live in the middle of a busy district, on the 5th floor.
2. I have never in my life seen a snail on my balconies, and even if one got there, it's open, without any place to hide, and the birds I feed on the other balcony would have eaten him already.
3. The okra leaves are really fragile and light, no way, even a small snail (I'm talking about the species we have here) would manage to climb one without breaking it.

In conclusion, I'm asking for your help with my interrogation.
What could those patterns be?

Thanks in advance.
20200920_154514.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
That's from Leaf Miners eating away inside the leaf. There are a lot of control methods available, but I never do anything. I've never seen leaf miners hurt the growth or production of a plant.

Leaf Miners are the larvae form of various species of insects. Never been a concern for me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leaf_miner

Reaction score
Country
Israel
@roadrunner, Hello

Thank you very much. Those are indeed leaf miners.
I have monitored the plant for some time, and I've noticed that the damage is minor, and overall decreasing.

I think I'll leave them alone too.

Thank you.

Ask a Question