MING ARALIA

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a very old and healthy Ming Aralia.
But it is very tall, about 7 feet high. I prune every spring, but not rigorously. Should I perhaps prune a branch to encourage new growth on the lower part of the plant or would that hurt the Aralia? Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Ming Aralia (Polyscias fruticosa) will usually sprout readily from below a pruning cut. This could be attempted at anytime indoors, though Spring would be ideal, especially if you want to try to root the cut stems.
I do encourage you to try rooting semi-hardwood stem cuttings from your plant in a fast draining potting mix with the aid of a rooting hormone. This will give you additional plants for yourself or as gifts for friends

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Ming Aralia (Polyscias fruticosa) will usually sprout readily from below a pruning cut. This could be attempted at anytime indoors, though Spring would be ideal, especially if you want to try to root the cut stems.
I do encourage you to try rooting semi-hardwood stem cuttings from your plant in a fast draining potting mix with the aid of a rooting hormone. This will give you additional plants for yourself or as gifts for friends
Thank you, Marck. Mine grows very fast, and I have several offspring from cuttings, but never cut hardwood, just greenery. I am just a little worried about cutting a branch, but maybe I will in the spring. The branch I have in mind is tall and has leaves only at the top, so gives the plant a spindly look.

Ask a Question