crepe myrtle not blooming

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a dwarf crepe myrtle which was planted 2 years ago. It bloomed well the first and second years. It looks healthy, but this year, it produced no buds, so it did not bloom. Any ideas as to why? I also have an established, full-sized crepe myrtle on the property which bloomed well.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Jean, where in the US do you garden? We are in central Texas, and our crepes bloom twice a year, but not at the same time. We have one dwarf, and it blooms sometimes. I think the "dwarfing" has removed some of the urge to bloom!
You could try giving it a feeding of a high nitrogen fertilizer, at half strength. Nitrogen encourages new growth and blossoms, and at this time of year, depending on where you are, you may not want to encourage new growth (stems, leaves). Half-strength will do no harm, and may do some good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Try a water-soluble bloom food like Miracle-Gro has. You can use it full strength once a week to give it a good kick in the butt. Works great for bedding plants and fruiting veggies like squash and tomatoes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Jean, where in the US do you garden? We are in central Texas, and our crepes bloom twice a year, but not at the same time. We have one dwarf, and it blooms sometimes. I think the "dwarfing" has removed some of the urge to bloom!
You could try giving it a feeding of a high nitrogen fertilizer, at half strength. Nitrogen encourages new growth and blossoms, and at this time of year, depending on where you are, you may not want to encourage new growth (stems, leaves). Half-strength will do no harm, and may do some good.
I live in the Northeast - planting zone 7. Since my original posting, I have started to notice buds. Discouraging to think that I have to wait until almost the end of August before this tree is in bloom. I don't believe it took so long last year. My other crepe myrtle has been in the ground for about 7 years, is not in a spot which gives it optimal sunlight, and I've never amended the soil in any way. And yet it blooms reliably! It has been in bloom for weeks. I'll try the nitrogen supplement next spring. In the meantime, I'll give it some Miracle Gro and see if that helps. Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Try a water-soluble bloom food like Miracle-Gro has. You can use it full strength once a week to give it a good kick in the butt. Works great for bedding plants and fruiting veggies like squash and tomatoes.

I think I'll give that a try. Thanks.

Ask a Question