I am interested in worm farming

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I live in a small flat and i am interested in worm farms.
I heard you can feed them food scraps, which would be handy in my household.
I have a 3 year old son, who leaves alot of food scraps and i want an environmentally friendly way to dispose of the food scraps.
Can anyone advise on how to make a worm farm and/or know where i can affordably purchase one without spending to much money?
I am an absolute noob on worm farms.
But i have pot plants that could benefit from me owning a worm farm and my son might like them as pets anyway.
So any polite, respectful advice, tips, ideas and suggestions are appreciated.
Thank you for taking the time to read this as well.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just Googled 'Worm farms', There is a lot of information there, from how to build one to how to spend a fortune on one from Amazon, videos from YouTube and everything.

One point, there are various sorts of worms, the ones that break down food waste are different from the ordinary earthworm. My experience is that if you put a container in contact with the ground with waste in it the appropriate worms will turn up, no need to pay good money for them. On the other hand if you want a wormery for your son it is easy to make one from a couple of sheets of glass about an inch apart and filled with earth and the odd earthworm. Put some dead leaves on top and you will see the worm's tunnels up against the glass and how they drag the leaves down. When I was a kid we made a similar thing with ants as well.

Good luck, lucky boy having a mum willing to explore such stuff with him.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Yes, do read and watch first to understand what is required. Dedicate at least a couple hours to doing this.

To begin inexpensively, begin with a single bin. make sure you have a correct species of annelid worm. Red wrigglers (Eisenia fetida) is most common but there are others. Single bins need more constant attention, so you will probably soon want to switch to a three bin system. Do-it-yourself is less expensive than a pre-made kit, but factor in labor and quality. After watching videos and reading articles you should have some ideas if the scale and set-up that will work best for you.

You mention that you do have some garden space. Considered an outdoor bin, perhaps shared with neighbors.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a small flat and i am interested in worm farms.
I heard you can feed them food scraps, which would be handy in my household.
I have a 3 year old son, who leaves alot of food scraps and i want an environmentally friendly way to dispose of the food scraps.
Can anyone advise on how to make a worm farm and/or know where i can affordably purchase one without spending to much money?
I am an absolute noob on worm farms.
But i have pot plants that could benefit from me owning a worm farm and my son might like them as pets anyway.
So any polite, respectful advice, tips, ideas and suggestions are appreciated.
Thank you for taking the time to read this as well.
If you are looking at getting a good amount of worms to start you off, simply composing is a great way and they will find there way to you. If you look at this YouTube video there are tones of worms in the compost bin alone.
so no need to spend money on that part if this helps.

Ask a Question