Mildew on Lawn

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Hi all,

Apprentice greenkeeper and learning by identifying mistakes,

I'm in Ireland,
I used home made fertilizer on my lawn. But the nitrogen content was very high. Ireland had a month of no rain, I watered daily, but watered sometimes too late in the evening,

Patches of the lawn have gone yellow/white it appears to be mildew, I'm looking for an organic solution to handling the issue.

Many thanks in advance for reading this.

Attachments

• 20230717_220620.jpg
    20230717_220620.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Country
United States
Sorry to hear about your grass. You burnt the heck out of the soil with your fertilizer. Dig all the dead stuff out and aerate the soil with a cultivator. If you can flush the areas with water after removing the grass it would help. Then put a thin layer of compost and manure on top of the clean cultavated soil. Leave the spots alone and let the compost and manure do their job.

Another method is to remove the topsoil and replace it with new topsoil.

Lastly, you can just wait and let Mother Nature fix it with rain and time. By next year you you should be able to replant seed and have no problems.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
Thank you for reply,
Yes I'm gutted as the lawn was nice and green but the mid June fertilizer was a bad call,
I will dig the dead grass out and aerate, flush the area with water and apply fresh compost and manure.
Have visitors coming in August and want to get the lawn back to standards.

Many thanks again for the informative answer.

Ask a Question