Medlars - Mespilus germanica

Do You 1 Love them 2 Hate them or have you 3 never tryed them?

• Love them

• Hate them

• Never Tryed them

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Over the past few years I have stumbled on at work the odd meddler Tree But until this fall I had never eaten them thinking they where only good as Chutney Or Jelly As some one had told me about a guy that used them in his Chutney But a few more years later & getting more info I decided to try them I picked 50 and have now eaten the lot There is not a Meddler left I've run out of meddler's. I had to wait till they where starting to go, well almost off looking, like a fig Then eat them. Know I'm hooked on them and cant wait to pick more! Anyone else tried theses almost forgotten Fruits?...............Here is a picture I took of a few I had lined up befor I cleared the plate!
P1020919.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Love em :)

Daughter #1 said the jelly I made from them was the best thing she'd ever tasted :)

You'm right there, they need to be "bletted" before eating, the frost needs to get to them to soften them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Lovely tree too, with big white flowers. They are related to Roses so the fruit is basically a big Rosehip. Trees are often grafted onto Hawthorn so you need to watch out for suckers. Our 20 year old tree is about 15 feet tall. It needs very little pruning, except to remove any damaged, crossing or dead branches.
We make a Jelly from them. For this they do not need to be bletted (the noble rot) they just need to be ripe and going a bit soft.
The fruit is puréed with just enough water to cover the fruit in the pan. You need about a pint of strained liquid to a pound of sugar. It sets easily too.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Nothing in any of the English Phrase books either. Must be a very local, if not just a family saying. My mother's was "two jumps at the pantry door!"

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I have not heard of meddlers before so don't know what their tasting are like! Do you have a picture of the cut up meddler? I would love to see what they look like :)

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have not heard of meddlers before either. Is there something like this in the states?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Oh and Becky are you sure the phrase was not "loquats and medlars?"

I don't know how it's spelled, but it sounded like Laah-rows. I've done a bit of googling in the past and other people have asked about the same phrase - seems to be specific to Norfolk though. Another thing she says in the same context is 'Bread and pullit'. Norfolk people are weird :confused: :LOL:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Interesting Info!. Now I know more now About Medders Medlars Right down to the spelling! I'm going to make that Jelly Next year I think

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
p;rop

Latest Threads