Meadow Garden cleanup

Reaction score
Country
Canada
My Meadow Garden is looking a bit ragged should I go in and clean it up pulling out dried out plants or fallen broken stems or is it meant to be left alone?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure I think I've seen people cut it right down in autum. Mine looks a bit ragged too but the birds and bees seem to be enjoying it still so I'm leaving it for now.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Not sure I think I've seen people cut it right down in autum. Mine looks a bit ragged too but the birds and bees seem to be enjoying it still so I'm leaving it for now.
Thanks for your reply. I just wish there was a way to make it look better during the summer. I still like the way most of it looks. And you’re 100% right the bees grasshoppers all those other in sex as well as the birds do seem to love it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes I agree it's looks versus natural function I suppose. I only sowed mine last year and there was quite a variety of flowers. This second year I sowed on top of what remained but a few specific things seemed to dominate; chicory which didn't appear last year as far as I can remember but has grown taller than me and many sparrows have enjoyed pecking about on it and red campion that had campion moth caterpillars eating the seeds and curling up in the empty pods. Also quite a lot of red clover later on that the bees have frequented and a very small amount of white meadow clover.

Ask a Question