Turning a field into a meadow

Reaction score
Country
United States
Heyo! I'll keep this short and sweet. I've got a field full of random grasses that I'd like to fill with wildflowers and lavender. The wild grass that currently inhabits it looks okay, but I think it'd pair well with the flowers.

So, would spreading a ****load of lavender and wildflower seeds throughout the field and pressing them into the ground be a good idea? I know basically nothing about gardening. I live in Idaho, but it's fertile soil, not desert dirt.

Tl;Dr: Can I spread of wildflower and lavender seeds into a field and expect them to grow? If not, what should I do to achieve this idea?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
They rent a slicer seeder machine that could make life easier. The seed will never make the soil and will die in the greatest majority otherwise. I would mow it short, fertilize it, slice seed it and sit back and wait. But I would do this during a wetter part of the year.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Heyo! I'll keep this short and sweet. I've got a field full of random grasses that I'd like to fill with wildflowers and lavender. The wild grass that currently inhabits it looks okay, but I think it'd pair well with the flowers.

So, would spreading a ****load of lavender and wildflower seeds throughout the field and pressing them into the ground be a good idea?

In addition to lavender, I'd recommend planting native seed specifically rather than "wildflower mixes" which are almost always non-native. Native plants will have a better impact on local pollinators. Seeding directly into grass probably won't give you the success you're looking for, since it sounds like the grasses or sedges are already well established. If you see a lot of bare soil in that field, then you'll have a much better chance at seeing success. Native seeds don't need to be pressed into the ground, they only need to be scattered on the surface in early winter. Once they go through a full winter, they'll start to grow the following spring.

Ask a Question