Maximillian Sunflower Planting

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought a bunch of maximillian sunflower seeds to plant around this spring. But I was reading about how to plant them and I'm a little confused. It suggests you have to plant them early in winter, and they have to be frozen for a while to germinate?

Of course that's not ideal for me because I was hoping to plant them this spring. Can anyone explain exactly what these seeds need to grow? Can I fake it by putting them in the freeze for a while first?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I thought sunflowers were sown in spring. Here they are, and they usually germinate very well within three weeks. If you grow them individually in small pots, they're easier to transplant. I've never bothered to freeze them first, and never found it necessary. 🤔

Reaction score
Country
United States
I thought sunflowers were sown in spring. Here they are, and they usually germinate very well within three weeks. If you grow them individually in small pots, they're easier to transplant. I've never bothered to freeze them first, and never found it necessary. 🤔

These perenial sunflowers are apparently very different than normal large sunflowers with the giant seeds.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These perenial sunflowers are apparently very different than normal large sunflowers with the giant seeds.
I am well aware of the type of sunflower you have. The perennials are always the ones I go for, and I don't have time or patience with the annual flowers I'm afraid :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I grow any of the Helianthus in the same way. If there is no more risk of frost where you are, they can go straight into the garden outside - sown thinly. Here, we get late frosts and can't be certain about doing that until about middle of May.
Good luck - be patient with germination - it can take three weeks.....

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Perennial sunflowers....gonna give those a try. Ordered seeds today and will plant in the ground as soon as they get here.

They will join my Mammoth and Suntastic which are already up about 1 foot on the edge of the garden.

Ask a Question