Sunflower pest

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone!

This is my first post here! I have gotten more heavily into gardening this year and have decided it is time to find a community for support through my learning. What mainly brought me to look for help was a new plant i just bought! I purchased a 10" sunflower plant from a local nursery that my roommate picked out. It looked very healthy and had many blooms. After we brought it home, i was setting it up near my other plants in a full sun spot. When looking closely at the blooms, i noticed a bunch of tiny bugs weaving their way through all of the blossom centers and roaming the petals. It was late in the day, so i called the shop the next day. After a couple calls and a few hours of waiting, i was informed that they searched their other sunflowers "with a magnifying glass", and that they did not see anything on theirs. They said it could be thrips, but were unable to tell me without seeing it. They also recommended i buy a product and told me an insecticidal soap (i make mine from boiling down soapberries) would not work on thrips. I decided to then drive it back to the store so they could look at it, at which point they said they think they are the larvae form of sunflower midges. I was told they would not be interested in my other vegetable plants so not to worry, and that a simple spray with the product they recommended would cure them. Now....i have internet....and although i am skilled at reasearch, i could be wrong...but my research is telling me it is thrips and definitely not a larvae of any kind. I was able to find an adult on a petal for a pretty clear picture. The younger ones are more of a pale tan in color and smaller. The young seemed to have the ability to spring off the petals to get away.

Attachments

• 20230619_163458.jpg
    20230619_163458.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230619_163527.jpg
    20230619_163527.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yep, I do believe that is a Thrips. Soaps work well on Thrips as long as the soap has fatty acids in it and I can't think of any that don't. Drench the soil as some adults will lay eggs there. Be prepared to spray all of your plants as Thrips like a multitude of plants.

Ask a Question