Sunflower seedlings - need help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey there, we have these sunflower seedlings that we’re doing great and suddenly the leaves started turning black. We are fairly new to gardening, can anyone assist with what this could be and how to help them?

Reaction score
Country
United States
C8D33176-B09C-40EF-87AD-EA7F5EE17BA1.jpeg

We do live in Florida and it has been very warm

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like a watering issue. How often and how much do you water?
We just put little sprinklers into the beds that water for 12 min 3 times a week and I hand water in between as well, do you think it may be from too much water? Still trying to figure out the best watering system

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It certainly looks like too much water. The next time you water with the sprinkler place a tuna fish or cat food can close to the plant and measure how deep the water is after 12 minutes. How deep is the plant's bed and what type of soil do you have? A sunflower loves to be on the dryer side, and hand watering two or three times a week seems too much. When I grow sunflowers in Texas I water slowly and deeply about every 7-10 days or when the plant is droopy in the AM hours.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It certainly looks like too much water. The next time you water with the sprinkler place a tuna fish or cat food can close to the plant and measure how deep the water is after 12 minutes. How deep is the plant's bed and what type of soil do you have? A sunflower loves to be on the dryer side, and hand watering two or three times a week seems too much. When I grow sunflowers in Texas I water slowly and deeply about every 7-10 days or when the plant is droopy in the AM hours.
The bed is maybe 18 - 20” deep.. and we have mostly soil a landscaping company brought in when we were doing some work with them. I also added some gardening soil and compost, but not a lot. I will definitely decrease watering and see if that helps, sounds like i am watering too much. Thank you so much for the response!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Fully agree with Chuck. I'd forget the sprinkler and possibly use a watering can. Encircle the plant with a ring of water giving a good soak. Keep the water off the leaves until the plants are much stronger.

Ask a Question