Mantis tiller

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
A buddy of mine brought this tiller to work on,it looks like it's been in the barn for a while :)
Primer bulb for gas,is almost gone,theirs duck tape holding the air breather on;) looks like this going. to take some time,I'm thinking parts is going to be an issue .
CAM00070.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
They are made two and a half miles from where I live, and the allotment society that I'm a member of got a new one last week, and it is no different from the one you have.
Parts should not be an issue, but if you have any problems, I can walk down to the factory and try to get them for you.
Here's their website including 'phone numbers.
http://mantis.uk.com/contact-mantis.asp

Spare parts:
http://mantis.uk.com/mantis-tiller-parts.asp

Downloadable manuals (Yours looks like it might be the SV4) c/w parts list:
http://mantis.uk.com/mantis-owners-manuals.asp

Anything else?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Wow, talk about luck:)
I'll get started looking at it today.
had no idea they were made in U.K.
Thanks HFBees

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
One of the best devices made, and mine is approaching 20 years old. My avatar shows me pulling weeds from the tines, it is not broken, just making it easier to till.

My 82 year old mom can use it, once I pull start and it is really nice for flower beds, as you can get it in to places the big units can not even get close. Mine has an edger option where you take off the till tines and replace with a wheel on one side and a single tine blade on the other.

The used one is definitely worth putting some money in to, and parts are readily available on the web, and the local small engine repair place can usually get them if you want to go that route.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Tony1959 Air leak in the carb due to heat expansion. I believe you have a pressurized fuel tank that is not leaking pressure due to heat, or collapsing a inline fuel filter due to lax maintainance. It is not the seals usually, rather the cardboard spacers. I actually looked up that detail once and found statements from the makers upon the integrity of the nylon-plastic diaphragms. Thats when my attention turned to the layers of paper and Elmers glue that make the gaskets for most residential grade 2 cycle carbs. Saturate them in machine gun oil (CLP) for a few days prior to install and it can help. But they are still a paper seal under engine pressures and temperatures. There are some high temp adhesives out there, but for the cheap replacement price the work is past me.

Last edited:

Ask a Question