Mantis Tiller

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Just ordered my 25cc 4cycle Mantis Tiller, can't wait to chew up some Georgia dirt. Sure could of used it this last spring.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Cancel the order, it's not much more than a toy, useful for tilling a flowerbed.
Something that looks like this is what you want:

http://powerequipment.honda.com/tillers/models/f220

Light, powerful, easy to use.
I have an Einhell 4.5 hp tiller, it's excellent and cost approx. £200 ($300 at the time)

I have the option to use one of the allotment Mantis tillers, and I won't even use it for my polytunnel beds.

Last edited:

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Looks good, but has the wrong tines. I need the sharp tines that can chew up hard clay, plus that thing is over $1,000.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I guess I'm torn. o_O

We have two off-brand little tillers, and I love whichever one is working at the time. :cautious: :rolleyes: (I guess I need to say that both were free, because they were broken, and my boyfriend is handy with motors.) I'm female, and a little on the small side, so they are easy enough for me to run, especially down the side of the house, where one jog in the wrong direction would chew up the siding. :eek:

I was originally told about them by a friend (a big guy...) and he had an actual Mantis, and loved it. But, we are talking about Ohio dirt here, not hard Georgia clay. :unsure:

If @headfullofbees can bend the tines with his fingers, maybe it won't be enough for your dirt...? If you find you need something bigger, keep an eye on Craigslist (or yard sales) for something else. People move and/or quit gardening all the time. If we got two within a year's span, maybe a bigger, more powerful one wouldn't be too hard to find used. (y)

:ROFLMAO: I'm afraid I'd have to see it chew up some of their yard before I bought it, though!!

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I couldn't imagine bending steel tines on this thing. I have watched several you tube episodes and from what I have seen it is perfect for what I need. It will be here August 4th so we will find out. Maybe I can shoot a little video of the first run through.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
With or without the video, please post your opinion of it!! (y) Now, I'm curious...

It would be very nice to have one that ran, every time, all the time. :whistle: :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I couldn't imagine bending steel tines on this thing. I have watched several you tube episodes and from what I have seen it is perfect for what I need. It will be here August 4th so we will find out. Maybe I can shoot a little video of the first run through.
I hope I'm wrong and it fulfils your needs, but they make them 1.5 miles from where I live, I've used one, and perhaps it was a poor one.
I can only tell of my experience.
I, too, have clay soil; there are three brickworks in the area.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have both the 2 cycle and the 4 cycle. the 2 cycle I have had for 10 years good little worker, too many carburetor issues. I purchased the 4 cycle honda motor 2 years ago. this little machine just will not stop. Great little machine. I had my l-4 and l-5 fused 6 years ago gardening has become very hard I deal with chronic pain. Thanks to this little machine I am able to garden, I also have a 1969 Troy-built tiller self propelled tiller. Without these two work Horses I would not be able to enjoy gardening as much as i do. The joy I get out of gardening really is theraputic and I foget about the pain for awhile. That's my 2 cent worth.

Jamie Calloway

Fruitalicious
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I tried my 4cycle Mantis the other day on a spot in the back yard where I will be growing some herbs. It is a smaller area about 20 by 10. The Mantis did great really tearing into the grass and dirt, I only did the top portion at this time, am planning on finishing it next week. So far the only issue I see with it is that grass tends to get caught up in the blades fairly easy. I have to stop every so often to clean them out, but all in all seems to be a great machine with a pretty hes y duty backbone.

Ask a Question