13 October 2017 Seedling Soil (New Electric Rototiller)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
http://durgan.org/2017/October%202017/13%20October%202017%20Seedling%20Soil/HTML/ 13 October 2017 Seedling Soil
Seedling soil was made for the 2017/2018 growing season. About 400 liters is required. Ingredients are 50 liters of mason sand,(washed), 50 liters of commercial compost,50 liters of reconstituted coco coir, mixed on a layer of city compost. Mixing was with an electric rototiller.(Sunjoe 13.5 amps NEW).This tiller was purchased for reliability. The modern gas rotators are not repairable, nobody can fix them when they wont run.
seedling%20soil%20005_std.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 8 B 15-20 F -9.4 -6.7c
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry but I completely disagree with your comment regarding gasoline or petrol rotavator, Honda and many other reputable garden machinery manufacturers make excellent and perfectly repairable rotavator or cultivators, maybe the cheaper end of the market is not so good,but if one can afford a bit more you will definately get a decent machine, failing that most hire shops have them for daily, weekend or weekly hire.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Most engines are Honda's or Briggs and Stratton and both are fixable at any small engine repair service. And at any rate how does one fix a broken electric motor? I've never seen anyplace that repairs small electric motors and I can't believe it is because they don't break.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
May I suggest you get out into the real world. Smahttp://durgan.org/2017/October%202017/13%20October%202017%20Seedling%20Soil/HTML/ 13 October 2017 Seedling Soil
Seedling soil was made for the 2017/2018 growing season. About 400 liters is required. Ingredients are 50 liters of mason sand,(washed), 50 liters of commercial compost,50 liters of reconstituted coco coir, mixed on a layer of city compost. Mixing was with an electric rototiller.(Sunjoe 13.5 amps NEW).This tiller was purchased for reliability. The modern gas rotators are not repairable, nobody can fix them when they wont run.
seedling%20soil%20005_std.jpg
ar

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Get out into the real world. All modern small gas engines are difficult to start to start and impossible to repair. Most of the guru's blame ethanol in gas, since it corrodes gas components. Honda is leading the pack with junk. Briggs and Stratton are useless with their small engines. Weed wackers are two cycle pure garbage.

The electric in NA are last gasp due to the use of 110 volts and limited current at 15 amps- underpowered in all cases. Almost every small engine appliance is now underpowered.

Reality check.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Get out into the real world. All modern small gas engines are difficult to start to start and impossible to repair. Most of the guru's blame ethanol in gas, since it corrodes gas components. Honda is leading the pack with junk. Briggs and Stratton are useless with their small engines. Weed wackers are two cycle pure garbage.

The electric in NA are last gasp due to the use of 110 volts and limited current at 15 amps- underpowered in all cases. Almost every small engine appliance is now underpowered.

Reality check.
LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry durian think you need to go look at proper garden machinery stores sounds like you had some bad experiences with petrol machines nothing I own is under powered all petrol what else would I use as a contractor with nearly fourth years experience, certainly not electric powered machinery that's for sure. Have you heard of a company called Al-kothese are entry level machines but very reliable..

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Honda even uses a plastic primer bulb which deteriorates with gas and cracks and needs replacement every year. Off shore manufacturing is introducing inferior equipment since most producers have moved to cheaper venues. I have became aware of the trend over that last ten years or so. Caveat emptor.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I had no electric until this year, (rototiller) after routine issues with most tools trying to get them serviced.

Electric with cord and some with marginal batteries are the new trend. On small lots, which is the trend, they work reasonably well. Expensive.

Your days with clean, reliable operation are coming to an end. Be prepared. The writing is on the wall.

I am carrying the message.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
In actual fact it will be rechargeable battery powered tools that supercede the internal combustion engine not electric and that's fact not just my opinion, the writing is most definately on the wall Stihl Ryobi echo and others are all well on their way, now that battery performance is greatly improved contractors are starting to show interest in these products.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
In actual fact it will be rechargeable battery powered tools that supercede the internal combustion engine not electric and that's fact not just my opinion, the writing is most definately on the wall Stihl Ryobi echo and others are all well on their way, now that battery performance is greatly improved contractors are starting to show interest in these products.
Can you imagine what with all the pushing and pulling one does with a tiller what will be the ultimate outcome will be with an extension cord getting in the way?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I had a demo of the battery driven electrical types.

Each of the appliances, lawnmower, blower, wacker. I was told the battery 55 volts lasted around two hours and no lack of necessary power. There were two lithium ion batteries and garage charger. All cost about 1/3 more than the gas driven.

The battery driven types are more expensive. Cord is 100 feet max number 12 gauge,and is an obstacle for sure, if the battery option is not selected.

Some manufactures have a complete line up. And a strong advertising department. Get use to it, since it is here and now.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 4.5hp petrol (gas) rototiller which starts by recoil. No priming.
I clean the spark plug and change the oil every spring, and it starts first time every time.
It's probably too big for your purpose, but I can control it with thumbs and first two fingers.
I can turn over my 450 sqm plot in one day, with time for breaks and gossip.

Soil type also has to be taken into consideration.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have a 4.5hp petrol (gas) rototiller which starts by recoil. No priming.
I clean the spark plug and change the oil every spring, and it starts first time every time.
It's probably too big for your purpose, but I can control it with thumbs and first two fingers.
I can turn over my 450 sqm plot in one day, with time for breaks and gossip.

Soil type also has to be taken into consideration.
I also always use a fuel stabilizer in my gas cans every time I fill them. And I only use premium fuel. My 78 year old neighbor told me this several years ago. All my gas tools start right up every time. And there will ALWAYS be gas powered tillers.

Ask a Question