Making rabbit compost

Reaction score
Country
United States
We raise meat rabbits and have manure. I use the hay that falls through to absorb the urine. I have started a compost pile 3 years ago and have been adding. I also have a heavy duty mulcher that I mulch leaves with. I mix the chopped up leaves with the compost for a bit of woody matter. And it looks like a fine topsoil. A lot more attractive than turds.
My thoughts are that shredding assists in composting. And it will work very nice for potted plants.
My question is what would be the best use of this? Thinking mixed with a good potting soil for pots but not sure about ratios. And mixed in the top 3-4" of soil when preparing the bed. Should I add the leaves ?
I've tried to research the best I can but you all have experience, good stuff. Any suggestions on how you would use this resource is you had it would be great. Thanks all

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We raise meat rabbits and have manure. I use the hay that falls through to absorb the urine. I have started a compost pile 3 years ago and have been adding. I also have a heavy duty mulcher that I mulch leaves with. I mix the chopped up leaves with the compost for a bit of woody matter. And it looks like a fine topsoil. A lot more attractive than turds.
My thoughts are that shredding assists in composting. And it will work very nice for potted plants.
My question is what would be the best use of this? Thinking mixed with a good potting soil for pots but not sure about ratios. And mixed in the top 3-4" of soil when preparing the bed. Should I add the leaves ?
I've tried to research the best I can but you all have experience, good stuff. Any suggestions on how you would use this resource is you had it would be great. Thanks all
I have found that about 30% compost is the best for most plants when added to garden soil. Potting soil isn't really soil, it is basically composted compost. I find using potting soil straight is best for seedlings and for more mature plants about 50/50 potting soil to garden soil is best. I would think using potting soil in an "in-the-ground" situation would be a tad cost prohibitive. One can never have too much organic matter in the soil. If by chance you do have too much or too many dried leaves in the soil just add 2 oz of horticultural molasses per gallon of water and pour it over the pile and water it in. The molasses will greatly increase the numbers of soil microbes who in turn change the leaves into a form that is available as nutrient uptake for plants. As an aside, how many rabbits equal one moose?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
That rabbit manure is some great stuff there. I would use it before, during, and after planting in all beds. Mixed in before, top dressing during, and again mixed in after harvesting. Great stuff!

The leaves I would use as a mulch on walkways, etc. anywhere you want to keep out weeds.

Ask a Question