The Frangipani Rust is making me cry....

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi All,

Well it's happened..

After reading about the Frangipani Rust attacking these beautiful trees that originated in Central and South America it has finally turned up on my doorstep ( Queensland, Australia ) and i am crying......:cry::cry::cry:...

They WERE beautiful lush green leafed, flowering beauties only to become a yellowy / muddy looking mess with the flowering blossoms diminished to a 1/4 of the normal flowers....

I have read about this disease but to carryout the recommended treatments on Youtube etc it appears that the amount of work required will only make the plants look ridiculous as they are somewhat mature plants...

After living with them for over 15 years and the comments from all the neighbours on how beautiful they LOOKED i am thinking it has to be time to say goodbye and have them dug out and removed... :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:....

Reaction score
Country
United States
Plumeria Rust (Coleosporium plumeriae) is becoming a major problem for Frangipani (Plumeria spp.) growers. Attempts are underway to breed rust-resistant varieties. Some people have success with defoliating trees, applying fungicde and then letting the trees leaf out again. Plumeria are drought-deciduous anyway. However, one should be hesitant to use any fungicide, as they are toxic and ecologically diruptive, especially if re-infection is likely from other nearby trees. There are some reports that more benign fungicides such as neem oil may be effective, but that is uncertain.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
It's very sad to lose mature trees and I can understand how you feel. Although nowhere near as attractive as Frangipani I have to consider felling six 60 - 80ft pines in my garden as they are dying, not from disease but age.

Reaction score
Country
United States
It's very sad to lose mature trees and I can understand how you feel. Although nowhere near as attractive as Frangipani I have to consider felling six 60 - 80ft pines in my garden as they are dying, not from disease but age.
At least you'll be rich in wood chips.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
A good thought Marck but I have no need for them. I will barter with the man that will be removing the trees, who I know quite well and that will bring the felling price down.

Ask a Question