Making a new garden.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We purchased a new home last fall that has almost a 1/3 of an acre lot. I would like to work up an area to put in a nice size garden. The area I would like to use for this is in the corner of the fenced in area. My only concern is that there are two pine trees close to this area. Will the pine trees have any affect on the garden and/or any of the plants that I intend to plant? One of the two pine trees in question, I am planning on removing yet this spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Not sure which type of pine tree you are talking about but white pine trees have shallow roots so you may dig down to find its roots in the way depending on how far out you are from it. Shading would also be a factor. The soils pH around the tree should also be checked first to make sure it isn't very acidic.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I got out my stihl auger\ hole digger and found tree roots under my garden down near 24 inches. It is amazing where they end up. I guess my tiller took off any growth down 8-10 inches or so over the years. You can trench and then use a sawzall in the trenchto cut them pretty deep. They will slowly compost. In can take 2 years buried if they are big.

Ask a Question