Magnolia tree

RandallJ.

Dream within a dream
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a, 7b
Country
United States
Was gonna get a southern magnolia tree for the new garden I'm gonna be making soon. Was looking at the care guide and it said to 'water deeply.' I didn't know what that meant so I looked on google.

"Apply a deep watering over the entire root zone area until the top 6 to 9 inches of soil are moist. Avoid light watering as this promotes shallow root systems that are susceptible to summer heat and drought stress. Water early in the morning to minimize water loss due to evaporation and wind drift."

How are you supposed to know when the top 6-9 inches of soil is moist?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
The easiest way I know is to stick your finger in the ground. It's an approximation but works pretty well or use a planting tool/dibble.

By the way the Southern Magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora) gets very large...up to 80 ft tall and 40 ft wide. Take that into account when planting.

This one predates me by about 40 years in this location and notice that whoever planted it didn't allow enough room for the spread. It's now competing with a live oak (30 ft away) for space. It is undergoing a leaf replacement bloom cycle just now. Estimate >60 ft tall.

magnolia gradiflora.JPG

RandallJ.

Dream within a dream
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a, 7b
Country
United States
The easiest way I know is to stick your finger in the ground. It's an approximation but works pretty well or use a planting tool/dibble.

By the way the Southern Magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora) gets very large...up to 80 ft tall and 40 ft wide. Take that into account when planting.

This one predates me by about 40 years in this location and notice that whoever planted it didn't allow enough room for the spread. It's now competing with a live oak (30 ft away) for space. It is undergoing a leaf replacement bloom cycle just now. Estimate >60 ft tall.

View attachment 95543
I meant the little gem type.

Makes sense to just gauge with your finger. I guess i was over thinking.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Here in Texas also, little gem = lettuce Tetters:)

little gem romaine 9 25 - Copy.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Oh good, now you know I'm not telling porkies :D I looked up the magnolia too and sure enough the smaller variety called ''little gem'' is a lovely plant.
1681943137580.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
Magnolia trees drop their leaves in the Summer and not the Fall.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Are southern Magnolias evergreen?

I bet @Esther Knapicius and I are only used to the northern cultivars where they drop leafs in fall and re-leaf about the same time they flower in the spring. I had two Jane Magnolias in northern Illinois and am thinking about putting in a star Magnolia here in Michigan.

Was gonna get a southern magnolia tree for the new garden I'm gonna be making soon. Was looking at the care guide and it said to 'water deeply.' I didn't know what that meant so I looked on google.

Over the last few years I've added several fruit trees and shrubs in my yard. The easiest way I have found to water new plants in deeply is to use a 5-gallon bucket with a 3/16" or 1/4" hole drilled at the edge of the bottom. Place the holey bucket next to the tree and fill it with water. Now you have a slow release of the 5 gallons with minimal work or babysitting. My yard / soil / climate had me doing this about once a week for the first season.

Ask a Question