Magnolia tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Down in New Bern, North Carolina. the zone is 8, they have "the Teddy Bear Magnolia " everywhere, it holds its leaves all their "winter" there. the leaf is a cinnamon color, fairly large. Flower is white, and also fairly large.
I have been to that area in January and have note lot of those trees there with their leaves still on them. Somehow I miss being there when it flowers. I do recall seeing a Teddy Bear up north here, now that I am thinking about it. Look it up and see what it says.
We have two Star Magnolia's one on one side of the house, one on the other side, have to find the picture. When they both bloom , same time, its pretty from the road.
I have seen some Magnolia's where the flower is larger than a dinner plate, Lots of types out there. Have fun .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
This pic. is from the road. can see the two Star Magnolias on sides the the house.
Front of house..jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
For exactness , I just checked my cell phone for the date I stood on my street and too the shot of my house with the blooming white star magnolias on the ends. The date was April 2, 2023, probably about 1:pm ish. on my way to do some errands. But right now, April 24th all the blooms have dropped and both trees are fully leafed up and will remain leafed up till about Octoberish, then I will start to see the flower buds forming in anticipation for the blooming in 2024. So, @oneeye , that is all I can tell you about the Star Magnolias.

@oneeye , if your really into knowledge about Magnolias, I would suggest you google about, or find a good book or books from the library about them. Many years ago, 30 some years prior to any of these garden threads etc. That is how I learn about certain plantings. And I do recall researching Magnolias, there are many types, heights, widths etc. So give that a go, take your time, find the type that suites your area, selecting the right plant always brings success to developing a garden.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Magnolia lovers everywhere can appreciate this picture my wife took of a flower in our front yard July 4.

magnolia.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please tell Mrs Meadowlark - that is a smashing photo. It reminds me of many years ago when I lived in the Aussi bush, and had a lizard hospital. There were a lot of stray cats in the neighbourhood, and they would often catch and injure these little creatures, so I busied myself making repairs to limbs etc and taking care of them until they recovered.

Ask a Question