Miniature Magnolia Tree?

Reaction score
Country
United States
About 20 years ago we purchased a small magnolia tree from a big box store here in west central Florida. It was about a foot tall and we planted it in our front yard. A coupe years later it appeared to have grown a couple inches. Needing something shady and this not growing as expected we replanted it in our side yard where it still remains. It has had some fungus grown on the trunk (if you want to call it that) but the leaves appear healthy, but it's about 20 years old now and I doubt it's even hit two (2) feet tall yet. No clue why this isn't growing yet appears healthy. Would love a magnolia tree but at this rate it will take hundreds of years to get as tall as I am.

Any ideas???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It is probably a lichen growing on it, they are composite organisms of fungus and bacteria living in very close association. Archeologists are able to date some stone buildings from the size of the lichens growing on the hewn stone as those types expand at a very slow, but constant rate.
I have never heard of a dwarf variety of magnolia, but most of the things that would stop a shrub growing would not leave it looking healthy after that long, does it flower? The other thing I wonder is if you tried propagating from it would the new plant keep the dwarf tendency? Magnolias are usually propagated by layering, either bending a branch down to the ground or air layering by wrapping sphagnum moss around a branch and sealing it in plastic. Might be an interesting experiment.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the info. I have seen some lichen (or something) growing on it and can get some pictures. I think I tried some copper sulfide on it but not sure it did much. So you think that a fungus or bacteria (or both) could be stunting it? Would really like to mend it rather than start over as the mini-tree has been around a long time. And I haven't had much luck propagating from a cutting so would rather just work with what we have.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No, I doubt very much that the lichen would harm it, it grows all over my ancient apple tree without hurting it. It is a fugus and a bacteria which grow in very close association, each supplying food for the other and using the tree just as a platform to grow on without being parasitic at all.
Cuttings tend not to work from magnolias, the new plant needs the support of the old one to get established. If you can bend a branch down to the ground, or to a pot placed under it, then you damage the bark slightly, give it a dusting with hormone rooting powder, peg it down firmly to the earth , and cover it at the point of contact. Give it a bit of time and it should make roots, then well it is reasonably well rooted you cut it off the main plant.
If there is no way of getting a root down to the soil you damage a twig and dust with rooting powder in the same way, then wrap wet sphagnum moss around it, then wrap cling film around that and tie it at either end to keep in the moisture. Roots should grow through the moss.
I have always had more success with the first method than the second, it was on a nice magnolia called Jane, which is also my partner's name :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Sounds like something worth an experiment. I'll see what the lower branches look like and if I can get something to contact the ground. I don't think I'll be naming this sad little ailing tree any time soon unless I want to spend some serious time sleeping on the couch. ;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
And this little tiny tree is +20 years old.

2022-12-13_145029.jpg
2022-12-13_145057.jpg
2022-12-13_145127.jpg
2022-12-13_145143.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It looks like it's planted too deep. If you can remove soil down to the original container rootball it will help. Then start feeding it regularly. Water solubles work fastest and and need the most frequent applications. Sulfur-coated urea and Osmocote last longer and organics last longest and act slowest.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can definitely give that a try but still don't understand how this can survive for a couple decades and not grow in height at all. This is about the same size it was when it was planted. In this area of Florida there are large magnolias around in lots of environments so I assume they like to grow here.

Ask a Question