Not open for further replies.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
You really have turkey roaming in your area? Are they wild? Or is it a joke? Wouldn't it be nice to have turkey for dinner for free! Mother nature's gift. Whenever I see pigeons, I have the same idea! The meaty flavour is so much more interesting than chicken and they don't have growth hormones pumped in.

Yesterday mid morning, there was terrible fume coming from next door but one and as I couldn't see any sign of human, I called out the daughter's name (she lives here now that her dad has passed). Then suddenly, her partner (I thought it was. Without my glass, I could just about tell it's a man!) appeared, apologising for setting a fire so early. I said it was OK. He then explained that the family of foxes was living in their back garden and he wanted to smoke them out. For goodness sake, it was too early and the fume was terrifying. I thought there might be a serious fire and wanted to phone my neighbour who hasn't been out for a long time.

I let the rooster out as it seemed so sad to corset him in his coop which is about 10 feet long, I couldn't believe my eyes when he walked pass where he was attacked and Mr Fox had arranged his feather. Very stupid bird.

!
1589517341493.png

Everybody else has rain, but not me!

I sowed some more Kale - Emerald Ice and Midnight sun! (what a silly name) The sweet corns I planted out were flattened by some critter and so I dusted a heavy dose of chilli powder. Not sure if it will work.

Sowed some more Romneya Coulteri seeds, some Chrysanthemum Rainbow mixed seeds which looked like irregular wood chips. Sieved one bag of compost.

I wish I hadn't watched this video which taught people to deadhead Rhodo. In the end, I spent half an hour deadheading my azalea. My rhodos are still in flower. Deadheading is a gardener's bane and I am never a purist!

Replanted 2 clematises and often wonder what trade secret there is for such beautiful and big blooms to flourish out of a 5L small pot! Something in the compost? Would love to know!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
There is a lengthy hill behind the house that runs several miles and makes a wooded path that deer and turkey and other creatures use for conduit and cover. They stop at our feeding station as they journey along.
IMG_20200510_183932.jpg

We planted 3 more clematis and all I know is trimming them back helps flowering if I remember to get to them but not this first year. I will have to share the rhodo info with Becky she has several around the house. She likes to crowd the pathways with plants and thats fine when they are small but larger they get in my way especially on a rainy day when I don't care to be touched by wet branche and leaves. I mainly prune them back.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I wish I had a wooded area behind my house. Alas, I have nothing but a busy road and lockdown? What lockdown!? Vehicles blasted along and the noise was killing me, not to mention the dust and fumes! Very nice style of living you have there, DirtM!

Yesterday, I tried to weed the front and my toes were frozen and I had to come in to change socks - Marks & Spencer Woollen ones which I bought for son. I watered the back a bit and when I picked up the watering can, a film of frozen ice coated the can! After a cup of tea and breakfast, I was hot and bothered and that was after 8.30. I wish the front were that long as I still haven't finished and already the hustle bustle of the road and heat were bothering me. Will finish it today.

You don't have to deadhead rhodo. Well, not a must; but deadheading will save energy and put the energy back to next year's blooms instead of forming seeds. But imagine you have a 5 years' old rhodo!

This morning, the laptop played up. The BOT man might be arranging my electronic furniture at night. I had to do F2 and F9 and F10 to get it going and then it said something wrong with my SD drive. :banghead:

Whilst weeding the front, I took a pic of my front patch

Those broken bricks were used to fleece the area for the last few days when it was VERY cold.

From left to right
California poppy, a bit of geum, a white spotted cistus and pink cistus, fronted by Coral Fay peonies, white allium, more Indian Chief irises, fronted by Salvia hotlip and another tiny spiked salvia

SAM_3687.JPG

See that dead plant at the forefront. Apparently, it is called Salsify and you can eat the root. I saw them in an ex- gas works and took 3 of them. Don't think they will survive. Then suddenly, saw one in the garden. I collected the seeds last year!
SAM_3624.JPG

Whilst weeding, discovered this Sunset sky - Notice how the lilac was framed by the yellow edges. Very interesting and very pleased to see a new iris blooming!
SAM_3685.JPG
SAM_3684.JPG
SAM_3681.JPG

Scented bearded iris

SAM_3708.JPG

Cornus Kousa China Girl
SAM_3707.JPG
SAM_3706.JPG

Globemaster is getting there. 1st year it flowered!
SAM_3704.JPG

Mini Munch cucumber
SAM_3702.JPG
SAM_3701.JPG

Salvia.
SAM_3700.JPG
SAM_3699.JPG

Salvia Hotlips!
SAM_3698.JPG

Quechee?
SAM_3691.JPG

Vivienne Pennell - with both single and double flowers. I have had it for years!
SAM_3696.JPG

Buried by the alstroemeria is this double osteospermum.
SAM_3697.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_3686.JPG
    SAM_3686.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 100
  • SAM_3683.JPG
    SAM_3683.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 54
  • SAM_3682.JPG
    SAM_3682.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 66
  • SAM_3705.JPG
    SAM_3705.JPG
    218.3 KB · Views: 47
  • SAM_3703.JPG
    SAM_3703.JPG
    220 KB · Views: 76

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning! Woke at at 4 again. Very strange!

I spent yesterday queuing. First at Clockhouse in Enfield and then bought one item and queued to pay in Springtime for another half an hour or 45 minutes. There were 2 tills and some crazy ladies bought a while trolley load of stuff and something she dragged and a salvia she held in her other hand. Saw a geriatric couple both with sticks queuing up. I offered to let them go in first. The man guarding the entrance asked all humanity if they minded this couple with 3 more legs going in first. Of course, we didn't. I joked that I must have what they were going to have.

Clockhouse had 4 bedding greenhouses - all sorts of nemesias, petunias (not the best pirouettes, but I got one. I got some items. Wish I hadn't been so mean and bought som Calibrachoas in Summerhill before lockdown. Now, I sound like a broken record. 45 minutes of queuing in Clockhouse. Saw a Cornus with variegated leaves and big white flowers, flowers similar to Cloud Nine. I bought a cloud nine 2 years ago and I managed to kill it and so have I killed Satomi! :banghead: :cry::poop:

SAM_3719.JPG
SAM_3715.JPG

Went to Summerhill and queued, not too bad. Bought some alliums. Not very exciting.

Photographed this for my friend.
SAM_3712.JPG

Saw this in Clockhouse, didn't buy it.
SAM_3710.JPG

Bought a moisture loving iris and will take a photo before jamming it in the crowded area. A Trollius Chinensis at £3.69. How could I say no. I only have one left from last year.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon , went for a bike ride yesterday and collect some plants 5 in total , manged to get 4 in my rucksack ( 3 persicaria september spire - 1 geranium orion ) and lobelia tania in a smaller bag, nice to get back out again on the bike I took a nice long route over the tops. Planted them out when I got home along with the miscanthus and plenty of watering was done in the GH .

Decided I go to the garden centre this morning , went to Gordon riggs which is the largest one locally the only other bigger ones in the NWest are Bents and Barton grange which I believe cost a small fortune. Anyway got there at 10.50am ish they cant sell until 11 sunday trading laws but can still go in, queues were huge to get in car park nearly full with more cars piling in, I didn't even bother I just got back on the bike went to another GC which weren't much better, no queues to get in just to buy things which were long enough for me not to want buy anything :( I think I'll go back when its raining.

Not sure what to do with myself for the rest of the day :unsure: I am sure i'll find something like mow the lawn

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Perki - Queues are everywhere. We went to my fav gc at nearly 3 on Saturday and even then we had to queue. The best is in Upminster British garden c. where we arrived just 10 minutes before queue stopping ie. totally no entry. We more or less walked straight in. Spotted some giant delphinium and was very excited by the huge blooms, but no. £2.47 was too much. Need to go to B&Q to get some more reduced stuff next week. Dreading my son's going back to work as he worked 6 days a week .. leaving only Sunday which is short for shopping.

Anyway, bought a Deutzia Strawberry Fields and another one with feathery flowers. Strawberry Fields is already down. £1.99 each was a real bargain and also they both have blooms on. Can't wait. Because of that, had to eat reduced priced pizzas. I don't like pizzas, but little emperor has a partiality!

Another trip to the allotment and it was hot even though it was nearly 4pm. Met a new couple who got a plot near the back which was shady. Then the plot in front of them is going as well, but it was full of huge trees (2 plum) and one sycamore I think. It was no good.

Well, I have so far 4 different types of irises in the allotment. Very sad, Indian Chief reigns! :inpain: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Whilst walking back to the new couple's allotment, I spotted these and want to share it with you. How cute!

SAM_3763.JPG

One of the peachy irises
SAM_3762.JPG

This is NOT Indian Chief! It has pinkish flags!
SAM_3761.JPG
SAM_3760.JPG
SAM_3726.JPG
SAM_3758.JPG
SAM_3757.JPG
SAM_3756.JPG
SAM_3754.JPG

Coral Fay
SAM_3753.JPG
SAM_3752.JPG
SAM_3749.JPG

Bought this plant even though I had one at home £3.69 and it came with a round frame to protect this beauty!

Nemesia - looks like a West Ham fan!

SAM_3744.JPG

My own cirsium Trevor's Blue Wonder
SAM_3743.JPG
SAM_3742.JPG

One of the funny muscari I bought from Farmer Gracy. Quite cute!
SAM_3739.JPG

Salvia Nachtvlinder
SAM_3733.JPG

Bought this beauty for £5 - such a beautiful and different flower - Painted Woman. Why didn't they name one Painted Man?
SAM_3726.JPG
SAM_3727.JPG

Love the unique colour combo! I think I might be a West Ham fan, after all!

Attachments

• SAM_3746.JPG
    SAM_3746.JPG
    123.6 KB · Views: 52
  • SAM_3741.JPG
    SAM_3741.JPG
    119.1 KB · Views: 55
  • SAM_3735.JPG
    SAM_3735.JPG
    293.1 KB · Views: 51
  • SAM_3734.JPG
    SAM_3734.JPG
    299.3 KB · Views: 94
  • SAM_3729.JPG
    SAM_3729.JPG
    276.5 KB · Views: 66
  • SAM_3728.JPG
    SAM_3728.JPG
    302.4 KB · Views: 44

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Last night whilst preparing dinner, the lightbulb in the fridge went and the motor stopped working. We have tons of stuff in the freezer and so we quickly bought another fridge freezer, but delivery will be on Friday. We had to clear the entry to the dummy freegled fridge freezer which turned out to be working without a properly functioning thermostat and it burned a hole in my pocket. After doing that, we stopped as it was 9pm. Son found out that the fridge was actually still working. 16 years' old fridge. The best £300+ spent so far. I have found out that all fridge freezers are too tall for my designated space. Some are even 210cm tall!

Gillian Blades
SAM_3775.JPG
SAM_3771.JPG
SAM_3769.JPG
SAM_3767.JPG

My hare tail grass! Always stunning! Going to water all my plants.

1589864556108.png

Thank heavens that it's not all sunny!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Magical! If I had planted this last winter, I might have had one of these beauties. Or not? I am so tired. Had 20 rounds of watering! This beauty cheers me up! Lovely streaks of colours. Off to watch TV as my fingers are all numb! Tomorrow I will share my surprises with you! You could hear me snore tonight! LOL!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Very sunny already!
1589949976541.png

Tomorrow's rain has been checked out. The prognosis is not good. Nowhere more than 40% ie. no rain for me.

The heat has cracked open the most tenacious of flowers. All suddenly sprang up from nowhere!

Crystal Fountain clematis. The colour looked lilac but it looks blue here! Nevertheless, nice to see this beauty in the allotment.
SAM_3819.JPG

Blackbird bearded iris - so happy the 4th different iris in my field of Indian Chiefs!
SAM_3818.JPG
SAM_3817.JPG

Clematis Majorie
SAM_3816.JPG
SAM_3811.JPG

A funky toy car! No, real, but very loud and funky!
SAM_3810.JPG

Salvia Rose Rhapsody in a gc!
SAM_3807.JPG

My Sarah Bernhardt peony
SAM_3805.JPG
SAM_3804.JPG

Achillea most vibrant colour
SAM_3803.JPG
SAM_3802.JPG

Quechee?
SAM_3801.JPG
SAM_3800.JPG

These are quite cute. Plants have legs and travelled from the front of the front lawn to the back of the front lawn and suddenly, out of nowhere came this Canterbury Bells. Really looked like bells!
SAM_3799.JPG
SAM_3797.JPG

Attachments

• SAM_3812.JPG
    SAM_3812.JPG
    217.3 KB · Views: 60
  • SAM_3809.JPG
    SAM_3809.JPG
    228.4 KB · Views: 60
  • SAM_3808.JPG
    SAM_3808.JPG
    187.5 KB · Views: 55
  • SAM_3806.JPG
    SAM_3806.JPG
    298.2 KB · Views: 61
  • SAM_3798.JPG
    SAM_3798.JPG
    183.3 KB · Views: 72

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Zenj: I hope you're enjoying this heat. I went out to plant 3 plants and now I am perspiring and I can smell the saltiness in my face, on top of dripping sweat on my face ... Why do people like the heat?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8B
Country
United Kingdom
Yes a beautiful day we had a nice breeze so was fine ,very windy this weekend our way though ,too hot for the frogs today they were all back in the pond cooling off.

Reactions: alp
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It has been a warm one today, I haven't done much in the garden just mowed and a bit of weeding , moved a nepeta six hill giant which were getting smothered by a geranium dragon heart. I forgot to mention the frost last week took out my wisteria :( it was just about to flower and its got a few of my spuds ,I did fleece the spuds and wisteria but the frost was to harsh.

I think my meconopsis will be flowering next week it not likely this warm dry weather though.

Have you been watching the virtual Chelsea garden show ?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Zenj I think it's windy our way too. Son erected the freegled gazebo (with a broken arm) yesterday and it afforded a bit of cool underneath it. It was just sooooo hot, not a stir in the air. Night time it cooled down dramatically.

Talking about plants being smothered, Perki! I forgot altogether my convolvulus until I tried to let my Viburnum P Mariesii see the sun. I had to pull out some alstroemerias and then I found out that I had also forgot my callicarpa profusion, and the same for my osteospermum 3D.

We had a serious frost about 2 weeks ago now. Sunday, a lady in the allotment told me that her neighbour had his potato plants, butternut squash (yummy) damaged by frost. Too early and I also had some damage to my sweetcorns. Are you sure your wisteria is dead or just the buds, Perki?

I have been watching Chelsea Virtual show, but there were too many repeats. I wish they would talk about more new plants, tricks to specific plants. Saw the master Hoyland man and surprised he had no new agapanthus. I so want the darkest one. I am still waiting for my Twister to flower. As soon as I had planted the Purple Delight, Monty said they needed to be pot bound. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr! Nearly wanted to go out to dig it up. I just scatter my agapanthus mixed seeds all around and keep my fingers crossed. Too troublesome to sow them in trays and fiddle with the fiddly seedlings.

One of my wisteria - Amythist Fall with very little scent. Can't white Shiro Kapitain
SAM_3837.JPG
SAM_3836.JPG

A white peony Lactiflora - probably from Lidl . Last week, they had a new trolley of peonies delivered and all the plants were cellotaped around and I couldn't get one. But I saw the word Lactiflora and so I didn't try. This week the trolley was left with 2 unloved plants and all the other flew. Amazing how popular they are!
SAM_3834.JPG

Peruvian Lily
SAM_3832.JPG
SAM_3830.JPG
SAM_3829.JPG

These irises are so much more interesting!
SAM_3827.JPG
SAM_3826.JPG

My shrub rose which I kept trimming off the bottom branches. So pretty - about 5 buds all around! Really cheered me up!
SAM_3825.JPG
SAM_3824.JPG

My new Salvia Madelaine - look how small the flowers are!
SAM_3823.JPG
SAM_3822.JPG

I think I will buy salvia after I have found out the size of the bloom. Don't like small flowers. But this one is quite pretty and unique in its colour combo!

Going to be very busy today and it's a bit cooler and darker today. Thank heavens for that. Nick Miller, the weather man of BBC, did cheer me up yesterday when he said, "If you're waiting for rain, the wait is going to be loooooooooooooong!" :banghead: :cry: :inpain: :inpain:

1590040376639.png

Well, I can assure you that there will be NO rain, here in East London!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question