Low pollination of flowers

Prophet

Intelligently Inquisitive
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hey guys I have an issue with low pollination of my vegetables. I recently started growing a few tomato and pepper plants again and have been using Neem Oil as well as insecticidal Soap on the plants. I've had maybe 5 fruit total show up between all the pepper/tomato plants combined and I'm wondering if using any of these insecticides may be acting as a deterrent for the bees and beneficial insects. Any information appreciated

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't really recommend using insecticidal soap, it seems to harm my plants when I use it. Tomatoes and peppers are self-polinating, and don't need help from bees. In poor weather, plants will drop their blossoms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I agree with the idea of easing back on the protective measures during flower. Its tough to do sometimes. Here is a product that might also help. Its a hormone.

GS34444_04V_tomato-blossom-set-spray.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I own some of that, but I stopped using it because I didn't think it was helping. Did it work for you, DirtMechanic?
I first tried it when it got hot last year. Probably will use it this week as we go into the 90s since the toms are just starting to flower. I waited on purpose for warm spring ground so it has changed my routine bit. Frankly we had so many tomato last year with 31 plants I did not check the seeds to see if they were pollinated or cytokinen set.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
How can you tell the difference in the seeds if thet were pollinated or cytokinen set? (what's cytokinen by the way?)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The normal pollenation would have seed, the chemically stimulated one is not fertile. So no or low or wimpy seeds. Here is the site where this pic resides.
plant-hormones_med (1).jpeg

I used some auxin early, it sort of helps things bush out. Its in the tips of branches and roots. Its a rooting hormone for example. When they go to flower I stop the auxin and then the fruit set spray is used. Its not really necessary but it does amuse me when I see my neighbors golf cart over by my garden. (y)

Word of warning: hormones are wicked powerful. The auxin is mixed 1\4 teaspoon per gallon. 1.25ml per 4 liters.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So I should not use that spray on my tomatoes if I were planning on saving the seeds from their fruits? I save my own seeds using the fermentation process.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
So I should not use that spray on my tomatoes if I were planning on saving the seeds from their fruits? I save my own seeds using the fermentation process.
Correct. Not on the flowers. You could spray a plant to see if it helped make more blooms or something, or plant one more plant. Seaweed and such has all of these hormones in it. Sort of the secret sauce, especially auxin. Its not just the minerals that make it useful around plants. My seaweed sources are expensive though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
In that case, I won't use the spray on plants I intend to save seeds from, and use it on the plants I will not save from. Thanks!

Prophet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Thanks guys for all the information. I figured out it had nothing to do with the sprays but the weather changing so crazily. My pepper plants have began producing a ton of peppers as well as the tomato plants. I've sprayed my plants from seedling with a seaweed extract which I also believe has aided in the process like DirtMechanic stated..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It is interesting to delve into the hormones. At my low level of understanding, a way to see how they work is to consider a number of hormones. Lets say 6 different ones, knowing of course that there are more. In the 6 hormone panel, there are 24 outcomes based on whether a hormone is present or not, and it can make you dizzy in the details. Seaweed and anything that has all of them certainly removes any issue of lack of fertility.

Prophet

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It is interesting to delve into the hormones. At my low level of understanding, a way to see how they work is to consider a number of hormones. Lets say 6 different ones, knowing of course that there are more. In the 6 hormone panel, there are 24 outcomes based on whether a hormone is present or not, and it can make you dizzy in the details. Seaweed and anything that has all of them certainly removes any issue of lack of fertility.
Thanks for all the info DirtMechanic, I've been using kelp/seaweed for some time now on various vegetables, flowers, and plants with good results so far. I can say I've never had a negative experience using it on anything..

Ask a Question