Help in identifying this plant/flower

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looking for some help in finding out what kinda of plant/flower this is. My aunt said makes teas from it and its good for her skin. She wants me to try it but I would like to know what is. She said one of her friends gave it to her but she does not know what it

Attachments

• image1.jpeg
    image1.jpeg
    231.2 KB · Views: 171

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Googled and could be succulent plant Bryophyllum / Kalanchoe delagoense, a weed species in Australia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I also did a Google Image search and it does indeed look like a Kalanchoe Delagoense however I have read that all parts of this plant are toxic so this may not tie up with your aunt using it for tea and on her skin so perhaps it is something else? Coincidentally with Spring in full swing I've been reading up quite a bit on plant and weed identification for my garden and came across this page on Japanese Knotweed Identification. As with your situation it's quite tricky to identify as there are so many similar looking species. It also turns out it's edible and makes a good crumble!

Good luck with identifying your mystery plant/ weed!

Best wishes, Jeff

Reaction score
Country
United States
This plant is a Kalanchoe, specifically it is the hybrid, Kalanchoe x houghtonii, which is the cross between K. daigremontiana and K. delagoensis. Both parents species are native to Madagascar and were formerly assigned to the now-synonymous genus, Bryophyllum, These Bryophyllum-type Kalanchoe make beautiful houseplants, but there are also weedy in greenhouse and outdoor tropical settings worldwide. The plantlets that form on the leaf margins detach and root easily, giving both parent species and the hybrid, the common names of Mother-of-Thousands, or Mother-of-Millions.

Also the plant chemistry of Kalanchoe includes a number of compound that are considered toxic, though there are also claims of various medicinal uses for these plants. Needless to say, the OP's claim for using the plants to make a tea for skin treatment should be taken with great caution and scepticism.

Ask a Question