Lots of new trees!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So many of you already know, we recently moved and our new place has a lot of trees! I'm trying to ID some that I don't know. There are a ton of crepe myrtle and southern magnolia as well.

Tree type 1:
20180202_141450.jpg

Type 2:
20180202_141424.jpg

Type 3:
20180202_141206.jpg

Type 4:
20180202_141134.jpg

20180202_141120.jpg

Type 5:
20180202_141040.jpg

20180202_141056.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So many of you already know, we recently moved and our new place has a lot of trees! I'm trying to ID some that I don't know. There are a ton of crepe myrtle and southern magnolia as well.

Tree type 1:
View attachment 31998

Type 2:
View attachment 31999

Type 3:
View attachment 32000

Type 4:
View attachment 32001
View attachment 32002

Type 5:View attachment 32003
View attachment 32004
Besides the palm trees I think you have Loquat or cumquat or maybe a satsuma . Anyway I'm fairly sure that they are citrus. And possibly an avacado. You'll have to wait until they bloom to make sure.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
That would be awesome! I never even imagined they were citrus or avacado!

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
The last one is probably a camellia! Lucky you! Lovely mature trees.. so jealous!

Hope you're going to be very happy in the first place - a place to call home!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hoping this will help with ID. Also the second tree is in the way, directly on the south side of it. If this is a fruit tree of any kind of like to cut the other one down to get it some more light and not be so crowded. It's a bit crowded in there anyway, but this one is blocking the light from the first tree.
20180203_151215.jpg
20180203_152051.jpg

Tree that's in the way
20180203_152521.jpg

20180203_151232.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hoping this will help with ID. Also the second tree is in the way, directly on the south side of it. If this is a fruit tree of any kind of like to cut the other one down to get it some more light and not be so crowded. It's a bit crowded in there anyway, but this one is blocking the light from the first tree.
View attachment 32022 View attachment 32023
Tree that's in the way
View attachment 32024
View attachment 32025
That really looks like a variety of loquat.
https://caloriebee.com/nutrition/Loquat-Tropical-Fruit
The other tree looks to be either an eastern red cedar or some type of cypress both of which will grow to gigantic sizes. I would take a limb to a nursery and find out. If it is in the way of a lowly loquat get rid of the loquat or any other tree for that matter.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So you're a big fan of loquat? I'd rather have fruit than another giant tree, I have enough shade as it is! Never tried loquat though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So you're a big fan of loquat? I'd rather have fruit than another giant tree, I have enough shade as it is! Never tried loquat though.
Those trees when big add a LOT of money to your home value. A loquat is easily replaced, they aren't

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
That conifer doesn't look nice or neat, I personally would chop it down and go for something that give the place elegance such as an acer or a conifer which is not full of leaves, a bit skeletal and bending. If you know what I mean! Best is draw up a plan and see where you would put in new trees or cutting down trees, bearing in mind you don't want any to block out the light, some to provide privacy and some to enhance your house, and some which won't run away with growing to enormous size or height.

Nice to have so many trees, but you can shape them strategically and add fruit trees that you want. I would go for dwarf fruit trees myself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
that entire area I think suffers a bit from over crowding. That tree is indeed a bit anemic on one side. There is a dead one in there as well that needs to be cut down (fortunately I also have a nice fire pit!!!). The original owners I think did that as a privacy hedge as there was a golf course behind the house. Golf course is now closed and the land has "gone wild" as it were. Makes a great area for the kids to run around. Homeowners here have been trying to get them to sell that land to us, which I would do in a heartbeat! Sadly the live trees must be approved by the HOA before cutting down, but this HOA is MUCH easier to work with than our last one.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
that entire area I think suffers a bit from over crowding. That tree is indeed a bit anemic on one side. There is a dead one in there as well that needs to be cut down (fortunately I also have a nice fire pit!!!). The original owners I think did that as a privacy hedge as there was a golf course behind the house. Golf course is now closed and the land has "gone wild" as it were. Makes a great area for the kids to run around. Homeowners here have been trying to get them to sell that land to us, which I would do in a heartbeat! Sadly the live trees must be approved by the HOA before cutting down, but this HOA is MUCH easier to work with than our last one.
At your old house, did that tree ever die that you were having problems with

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
At your old house, did that tree ever die that you were having problems with

Ha, no! I suspect it might not do so well this spring. Still has green leaves on it now though. Hopefully the house sells quickly and it can be someone else's problem!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Chuck, any idea what type pf palms those are? Looks like two different types. I have some REALLY tall ones out front too, Ill get a pic of those when it stops raining.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
@Chuck, any idea what type pf palms those are? Looks like two different types. I have some REALLY tall ones out front too, Ill get a pic of those when it stops raining.
The first one appears to be a Mexican Fan Palm and the second picture looks like a Lipstick Palm. The third one, the ones growing low on the ground I don't know. The fourth one looks like a Sago Palm that has been hit by cold temps.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The first one appears to be a Mexican Fan Palm and the second picture looks like a Lipstick Palm. The third one, the ones growing low on the ground I don't know. The fourth one looks like a Sago Palm that has been hit by cold temps.

Thanks. Yup, tons of Sago's. They have spread rather abundantly here, which is great because I like Sago's. That's the only one I actually knew though. Ill look into the others, helps to have a place to start searching!

Ask a Question