Looking to buy cordless drill for garden auger

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am looking to plant around 400 bulbs! As you can see, it would be quite a big ask, so I am looking to buy a cordless drill for my garden auger ( It’s a 3 inch diameter auger)

Actually, my neighbor has got a 18V dewalt and initially, I thought about asking for the drill. Then something hit my mind and I’m wondering whether any drill is enough for my task or if there is any special feature/specification do you guys look at when planting.

I also heard many use Gas Powered Post Hole Digger.

What you guys actually do?

Will greatly appreciate any advice,Thanks.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
When I used to do lots I had a long handled bulb planter. It has a bar you can step on to use your body weight and cuts out a plug of soil. There was one year there was a big freeze and I was supposed to have planted a lot of tulips. The ground was solid and I used a large crow bar and sled hammer, surprisingly they all still came up fine :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can suggest a Drill That I'm using to do the home DIY. It's a powered DEWALT Drill and It's perfect to work with any speed.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
A 3" diameter auger bit will knock the heck out of a cordless drill. I doubt the battery will last too long. I would suggest a corded drill if you can reach with an extension cord.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Actually I use a 18v ryobi drill but my bit is a tent stake auger because I am not about to bend over that far. I have one of the little made to purpose augers but they are such a pain in the butt that they are worthless. The tent stakes are about 24 inches long. I cut the loop off the end and the 1\2" shaft then chucks perfectly into my 1\2" drill. I learned about it on youtube. I still have 3 augers left as I bought an entire set of tent stakes. This picture is for one at Tractor supply that is 48 inches long. They also have 36". You can sharpen them easily as well to cut roots better. The only thing about the drill is it has to be a drill-driver, not a drill. The high torque low speed setting for screws is what is used, not the high speed low torque drill bit setting. The stake augers are 3" also btw. I just tape it for the depth mark on the shaft.

Screenshot_20211230-223021.png
Screenshot_20211230-225206.png

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Actually I use a 18v ryobi drill but my bit is a tent stake auger because I am not about to bend over that far. I have one of the little made to purpose augers but they are such a pain in the butt that they are worthless. The tent stakes are about 24 inches long. I cut the loop off the end and the 1\2" shaft then chucks perfectly into my 1\2" drill. I learned about it on youtube. I still have 3 augers left as I bought an entire set of tent stakes. This picture is for one at Tractor supply that is 48 inches long. They also have 36". You can sharpen them easily as well to cut roots better. The only thing about the drill is it has to be a drill-driver, not a drill. The high torque low speed setting for screws is what is used, not the high speed low torque drill bit setting. The stake augers are 3" also btw. I just tape it for the depth mark on the shaft.

View attachment 86888View attachment 86889
Over the years I have used various cordless drills, some upto 24v. Most have been heavy and with short battery charge life. I now have the same as above. Great tool.

Reaction score
Country
United States
We've invested in the 18 volt ryobi one series and I can say they're tough little drills. We have three or four of them now, and bought extra batteries when they went on sale. Yes, you can run through a battery when doing heavy jobs, but just keep another one or two in the charger and you can just swap out and keep working. We've used the ryobi tools (including reciprocating saw, jigsaw, nailer, and drills) to build the hoop house and a 24' x 36' shed, and they handled all the work very well, even being dropped or left outside in the dew overnight. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend using the drill to plant lots of bulbs.

Ask a Question