LOOKING FOR AN EVERGREEN INFORMAL HEDGE UP TO 2-3 MTR.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Looking to plant a hedge across my block and thinking of Blue Pacific. Does anyone have this plant as a hedge, or other suggestions please. It's an open sunny position.
Need something that is frost and drought tolerant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @Buckleup :) I can think of lots of suggestions, but it would be a huge help to know where in Australia you are.
I would suggest completely different hedging in Tasmania than if you happened to be in NT or Queensland (y)

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I live in NSW Southern Riverina area about hour drive north of Tocumwal, in winter we have the frost and summer the hot 40's.
I have been thinking of planting wattle trees but not sure . Thank you for replying to my post

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Let`s hope you get a bit more rain this coming summer !!
By ''blue pacific'' I assume you mean Ceanothus - a lovely plant with plenty of blooms, and most suitable - Wattle trees (Acacia) also great.
It depends though what sort of effect you want to end up with.
I usually tend to favour a mixed hedge, with several varieties planted together, but some people tend to go for uniformity.
I think a popular plant there for screening might be the Lilly Pilly -Acmena Smithii, which I have never grown myself, but I know it has red fruits which the birds enjoy. Pittosporums are good too - green pillar should be easy to come by (lovely perfume). Photinia fraseri has bright red new leaves each time it is trimmed. Callistemons (bottlebrush), Loropetalum (china pink), Eleagnus ebbingei (sweet perfume from insignificant white flowers in the winter), Lonicera nitida (a good one to cut into shapes) and an all time quick growing sturdy favourite of mine is Griselinia littoralis which is evergreen, reliable and easy to trim.
All my family live in Australia - some in Tas and some in Queensland. I used to live north shore Sydney in Terry Hills.

1605571776167.png
As an afterthought, whatever hedge you plant, you could grow a Bougainvillea through it - you lucky thing - they won`t grow here.

Last edited:

Ask a Question