Kale, the superfood!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I read about how good Kale is for you, but I have never tried it. What does it taste like, and is it easy to grow? Any recipes would be helpful too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I read about how good Kale is for you, but I have never tried it. What does it taste like, and is it easy to grow? Any recipes would be helpful too.
Kale is great and easy to grow in cool weather. It tastes kind of like a cross between spinach, chard and collards. I just steam it and dribble on some balsamic vinegar or eat it raw in a salad

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've never been a big fan of the taste of kale, so I don't grow it and I don't eat it;) But I know that many people add it to their green smoothies. If you mix kale with a banana, spinach, parsley and your favorite herbs, it shouldn't be bad:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I love kale! It has a strong flavour, but it's fantastic with a roast dinner because the frilly leaves hold lots of gravy! :D

Reaction score
I can't remember ever consuming kale and as a matter of fact i don't recall seeing it that often at the farmers market.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Kale is indeed a tasty, highly nutricious food, one which, like most brassicas, I really enjoy, but I'm wary of "superfood" tags.

You can easily live on milk and potatoes, and if any foods deserve the title, they are those two.
The rest are waaaaaaayyyy behind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Kale is indeed a tasty, highly nutricious food, one which, like most brassicas, I really enjoy, but I'm wary of "superfood" tags.

You can easily live on milk and potatoes, and if any foods deserve the title, they are those two.
The rest are waaaaaaayyyy behind.
Superfoods are a hamburger with everything and french fries. Got all the nutrients one would need

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Chuck...I agree with you. I wish the world could survive on cheeseburgers alone! I am not fond of spinich, so maybe I will not like kale. Claudine..your idea for the smoothy sounds good, I just need to get a juicer now.

Reaction score
Kale is yummy. Tastes like spinach to me. I love to shred it for salad with spinach, radicchio, sliced brussel sprouts, radish, mushroom, shredded carrots, diced ham, shredded cheese, dried cranberries, and pumpkin seeds. So yummy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Does Kale freeze well like spinich does? I could see myself buying or growing a bushel of it, but I am not sure we would eat it all before it went bad. I am hesitant about getting food that is going to spoil before I can eat it all.

Reaction score
Kale might be a super veggie, but I don't like the way it tastes at all. It really reminds me of spinach and i really dislike spinach with all my heart. I heard isn't so hard to grow tho, so good luck; organic is better!

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Kale does freeze well. When I cook my kale I add onions and 2 chicken bouillion cubes to the water and some Mrs. Dash. I cook until the leaves are just getting tender, I do not like the leaves real soft. Kale is a stronger taste than spinach.

The smoothies made Kale added do not appeal to me, I like the spinach in my green smoothie.

Ask a Question