Kale from seed

Reaction score
Country
United States
Last summer I planted Kale saplings in containers on my balcony in Northern California and they grew wonderfully and gave me a great harvest. This year I thought I'd try to grow them from seeds. I planted 6 of them in cups on my window sill (indoors but facing the sun). I used miracle gro potting soil (that's all i had) and I watered them every other day. I would also rotate them around to try to get all sides equally exposed to sunlight. At first they seemed to be growing well, but now after 4 weeks this is what they look like:

Preview attachment IMG_4047.JPG

icon_1_image_x32.png

IMG_4047.JPG
912 KB

The stalks seem thin, and while the two in the middle look like they have healthy leaves, they all still seem too delicate, and keep leaning over unless i compact the soil really hard. Did I do something wrong? Is it still possible to salvage them and keep growing some more? Can I even take any of them outdoors?

Thanks. (I'm a very newb gardener, I'm sure i did something really dumb)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I can't open your picture but from your description I am going to guess it is a result of a lack of proper sunlight. Kale is a plant that does well in northern areas where it is cooler. But this also means more hours of sunlight during the summer months. Since you were successful before in containers, I would hurry and get them planted even if they look sickly. You really have nothing to loose and you could get another great harvest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Probably inadequate light and possibly dampening off due to high temps/humidity. Window sun shouldn’t sustain kale in the winter. It needs more light or at least something like a T5 light until it’s bigger. Less than 6 hours of full sun or light will shut them down and when they’re small they do not have a large enough surface area to photosynthesize food.

Ask a Question