Kale, Collards,Chives, Mint, Basil, Asparagus

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Many green vegetable are processed over the season. Now I just label them Green Vegetables. Kale and Collards grow huge and I process with other vegetables as they become available. Eight plants of each are grown, and produce more than required. Kale and collards are quite new for me, and have been growing them only the last two years.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?GAGAB 4 June 2014 Juicing Current Garden Vegetables
There are few vegetables in the garden but what is mature was made into juice. The method is Injun cooking, everything in one pot. Available was kale, collards, chives, mint, basil and asparagus. All the ingredients were placed in a large pot, covered with water, and cooked until soft then hand blended into a slurry. The slurry was then strained through a food mill,residue of which was put through a Champion juicer. The outputs were combined and five liters were pressure canned at 15 PSI for 15 minutes. The other two were placed in the refrigerator for current use. Total obtained was seven liters. Pictures depict the process.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Interesting, thank you for sharing. I never thought to juice collards before. What would you use it for?

I just use it as juice sort of like a high quality V8. The nutritionists are always babbling about eating more vegetables, so this is my method of meeting that criteria.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Wow, very thourough. I would love to grow all of my own vegetables someday. It would be such a good feeling to produce all of my own food and know what exactly goes into it.

Ask a Question