Harvesting lettuce, kale, collards, spinach & more from the Garden (photos)

Reaction score
We transplanted Brussels, Broccoli, Cabbage, and Cauliflower back in mid-March, and I'm finally seeing some broccoli heads emerge. Because the flea beetles devoured much of these plants, we cut back a lot of the plants, it's not until months later that I'm seeing big progress. The Cauliflower is growing large, a couple of surviving Broccoli plants are forming heads. The Brussels were cut off at the top because that was the area of the plant the bugs were eating. Of course the Brussels may not produce but a couple of sprouts, but I'm letting them continue to grow. At this point, many of these cold weather vegetables are coming to seed because of the hot temperatures. The Radicchio, Radishes, Spinach, Nappa Cabbage, and onions are flowering to go to seed.

Of course I have been harvesting onions, radishes, and many greens for weeks, so I wanted to show you some pictures I have been taking. Also we have been harvesting a strawberry or two every day for the last week. We have had two big strawberries so far, and the rest have been quite small. The small strawberries are packed with an intense sweetness you can't get in the stores.
The blueberries are almost ready to pick. They are large, plump fruits but have not managed to get color to them. I think the dry weather has prevented the blueberries from making their color.

May 14 2015 icicle radish harvest

May 12 2015 icicle radish harvest

May 22 2015 harvest (strawberry eaten days later)

May 25 2015 lettuce & collard harvest

May 24 2015 lettuce harvest

May 21 2015 greens, herbs & radish harvest

May 10 2015 radish & greens harvest

May 14 2015 lettuce & onion harvest

May 17 2015 Greens harvest

May 17 2015 harvest

May 23 2015 greens & parsley harvest

Original post @ Harvesting lettuce, kale, collards, spinach & more from the Garden

-Cassie K

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Looks good. Where are you located? I notice you have problems with the flea beetle.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Nice! I'm a month away from harvesting anything. Do you eat the radish greens? They are one of my favourite salad greens; I don't know why they are not sold in grocery stores.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
[QUOTE="Beth_B, post: 55148, member: 21ice! I'm a month away from harvesting anything. Do you eat the radish greens? They are one of my favourite salad greens; I don't know why they are not sold in grocery stores.[/QUOTE]

Never tried them. Now need to rethink planting radishes. The giant leaves in my little space put me of.

Thanks for the heads up!

Reaction score
Looks good. Where are you located? I notice you have problems with the flea beetle.

Yeah, like I said, the flea beetles devoured much of these plants, so we cut back a lot of the early vegetables like collards, cabbage, cauliflower, Brussels, and broccoli...although a couple of plants died, once we cut back the bad leafs, the plants grew bigger--and it seems the beetles do not effect the larger (older) plants as much. So now all the plants are doing great. The arugula is being hit hard, so I planted arugula in about seven pots so that they may have a chance to prosper.

I do not have any bugs eating the lettuce, spinach, radicchio, and dinosaur kale.

I am located in Kentucky, gardening zone 6. I am able to grow food from late March to late October in my area.

Reaction score
Nice! I'm a month away from harvesting anything. Do you eat the radish greens? They are one of my favourite salad greens; I don't know why they are not sold in grocery stores.
Hmm, I will have to try the radish greens in a salad since you mentioned it. I may experiment and juice the radish greens with other garden greens. Im assuming the greens are a bit spicy so I'm not sure what other greens would go well with them... With tender greens like lettuce and spinach I prefer to eat in a salad, but tough greens I usually juice, and cooking tough greens is a last resort for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fantastic harvest! I can't grow anything like these here as our summer is short and the creatures will tear them all up before they even sprout!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Radish greens do have a slightly peppery flavor - also great on sandwiches.
I really like greens of all sorts, including the "tough" ones stewed. So I may be biased.

Reaction score
Fantastic harvest! I can't grow anything like these here as our summer is short and the creatures will tear them all up before they even sprout!
Ah, but Michigan has great soil, and grows fantastic apples ;)

Ask a Question