Is this scale? :(

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello. I have two large containers that have marigolds, basil, and a dwarf tomato in it. I've grown these together in prior years without issue.

In one of the containers (only one), I noticed that the basil and marigolds (though not the tomato oddly) have some weird looking bumps on the stems. The marigold stems have even split revealing this weird bumpy mass on the inside. I don't see anything on the leaves of either plants. I think it's scale, but I'm not positive. I've never encountered scale before, so I don't have prior experience with it to know for certain what I'm looking at. I've also never encountered anything that looks like this on my marigolds or basil before and the plants in the other container don't have the same bumps. Anything I know about it is just from having read stuff on the internet while learning about gardening.

I thought I'd reach out here to see if anyone knew what this is for sure. I pre-emptively sprayed with alcohol -- which I'm now sort of regretting -- so the basil leaves look a bit sad in the photos and the lumpy stuff in the marigold stem appears brown (it was lighter in color before). I've included two photos of the basil and one of the marigold.

Before I just dig up the plants entirely and replace, I'm hoping someone will know what it is for sure. Also, whatever it is, if I need to treat the soil, etc.

Basil
Basil.JPG

Basil
basil 2.jpg

Marigold
marigold.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello. I have two large containers that have marigolds, basil, and a dwarf tomato in it. I've grown these together in prior years without issue.

In one of the containers (only one), I noticed that the basil and marigolds (though not the tomato oddly) have some weird looking bumps on the stems. The marigold stems have even split revealing this weird bumpy mass on the inside. I don't see anything on the leaves of either plants. I think it's scale, but I'm not positive. I've never encountered scale before, so I don't have prior experience with it to know for certain what I'm looking at. I've also never encountered anything that looks like this on my marigolds or basil before and the plants in the other container don't have the same bumps. Anything I know about it is just from having read stuff on the internet while learning about gardening.

I thought I'd reach out here to see if anyone knew what this is for sure. I pre-emptively sprayed with alcohol -- which I'm now sort of regretting -- so the basil leaves look a bit sad in the photos and the lumpy stuff in the marigold stem appears brown (it was lighter in color before). I've included two photos of the basil and one of the marigold.

Before I just dig up the plants entirely and replace, I'm hoping someone will know what it is for sure. Also, whatever it is, if I need to treat the soil, etc.

Basil
View attachment 96306

Basil
View attachment 96307

Marigold
View attachment 96308
On the basil, I don't think that is scale. I think it is the beginning of aerial roots. In the second picture are those round things easily removed? If so, those are eggs but, IMO different than those in the first picture which I believe are the beginnings of aerial roots. On the marigolds I am clueless but it isn't scale.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
When I zoom in on the little bumps do not look like scale insects to me. Kind of looks like the beginnings of roots.

The one with the split I don't know but if that were a tree I would call that canker.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh okay! Phew. I hadn't seen that happen in prior years. I'll just leave them be then and let them grow. Thank you everyone!!! <3

Ask a Question