Is this a Peony?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Moved into a new house in N Ga and this plant popped up in the spring. It had two blooms. It is very close to a Juniper and under the house eaves so that it doesn't get much rain. Feel like it could be in a better spot. Is it a peony? I know little to nothing about them. Should I move it or best to leave it alone. How do I care for it? Thanks for the help! June

Attachments

• peony.jpg
    peony.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 306
Reaction score
Country
United States
Only 2 blooms this last spring... anything I can do to encourage more? Do you know what type of peony so I can research? Thank you for responding!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum. That's a very pretty peony! Enjoy!

Peony resents being moved. They thrived in hot baking condition. Don't worry about the rain. I never bother about watering peony. If it flowers, it is HAPPY where it is. Make sure you don't top up the soil either as peony needs to have it crown baked, very similar to irises. If you have irises around that plant, your peony has probably found a place to call home. What other plants have you got around that spot please?

Wait till it becomes a big clump, you can think about splitting it and moving it to a another sunny place. Is it west or south or east facing please?

Have a look here please if you're worried.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry Alp, but Paeonies do not need the crown baking, rather the opposite. It is cold ripening which changes leaf buds into flower buds. That is the reason why they should not be planted deeply.
And the do not move things is slightly misleading. I have known them moved house every other year and flower every time. It is just a question of how they are moved and how deeply they are planted.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Probably not baking, but mine comes back every year. My point is that the crown should not be buried deep or the plant will sulk. To the OP, don't add anything on top of the crown. It's flowering and is happy. I also split quite a few peonies, but I have the feeling that this is a young plant, so best is to leave it be!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Totally agree with the planting depth and avoiding making it deeper by mulching over the top. And why move a plant if it is obviously happy and flowering? Just wish that Paonies were not so expensive or we would have had lots more of them. No point now if we ever sell up.
My Uncle moved house every other year because of his job. He had a wonderful collection of Paeonies and refused to leave them behind so they were moved and they flowered every year without fail.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you for the advise folks. It is east facing, but forest is about 20ft in front of it so only partial sun. I too had heard not to move. the soil is just so dry there and it is too close to the juniper next too it...don't like the juniper so maybe I should think more about removing it!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Totally agree with the planting depth and avoiding making it deeper by mulching over the top. And why move a plant if it is obviously happy and flowering? Just wish that Paonies were not so expensive or we would have had lots more of them. No point now if we ever sell up.
My Uncle moved house every other year because of his job. He had a wonderful collection of Paeonies and refused to leave them behind so they were moved and they flowered every year without fail.

I know! @Owdboggy ! They are always bloodlettingly expensive! But that one is a real beauty. You mustn't forget though not everyone, especially me, is an expert like you or your uncle! I have a peony and it's now into its 7th or 8th year, Not a beep! I did move it 3 years ago. Still sulking!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh your peony is lovely, DrCase! Maybe I'll have a bigger bush and flowers one day. Will water well every so often and let it do its thing. I am so excited to have my first Peony! Thanks for all the advise.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh no!!! Went to the house last weekend and lawn care folks had cut down the peony with a weed eater! All the way to the ground! What do I do? Any hope for it?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Complain to the lawn care folks. The plant itself should be ok, it will just go dormant a little early. A lot of ours are already going into autumn mode because of the extreme heat and dryness.

Ask a Question