Is this a goodie?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Don't know what this is. I had to pull some out and don't know whether i should replant the bulbs. Here is a shot of the bulbs i pulled out and what it looks like in the ground, please ignore the onion weed flowering beautifully amonst it. Id really appreciate it if someone knows what it could be. Ive asked my learned gardener friends to no availo_O
rps20160918_143954.jpg
rps20160918_144019.jpg

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I don't know what it is, but the plant itself is pretty! Unless someone comes along and says it's an awful thing...I'd keep it!! (y)

Kind of reminds me of a lily... you could always stick it in a container while you decide. :)

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
I have them too but I don't know their name. If you aren't careful and get all the bulbs out they could end up dominating your garden.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Darn! :( I was hoping someone would come along and know what it was!

@SirJoe, do yours bloom? If I were DeborahJane, it'd be a lot easier to decide what to do with it if I knew whether it was a feature or foliage! :)

Reaction score
Country
Portugal
Darn! :( I was hoping someone would come along and know what it was!

@SirJoe, do yours bloom? If I were DeborahJane, it'd be a lot easier to decide what to do with it if I knew whether it was a feature or foliage! :)
If it's the same plant, they produces a cluster of white flowers. It's difficult to tell if they are indeed the same plants since there are a lot of plants that have very similar leaves. I think that you are going to have to be patent and wait for them to bloom to find out exactly what they are.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Ophiopogon japonicus does not have bulbs like that as roots. They are stoloniferous rather than bulbous.
Obviously the leaves did not smell of onions if you recognised the Onion weed in amongst this one.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
@DeborahJane, did you ever find out what this was? :)

What did you decide to do with it? :confused:
No MaryMary I haven't. I've replanted it out of the way so if it flowers there may be something else to go on. Hope it's not a weedy type thing. I've just started trying to get rid of the violets that are really taking over. It was finding my standard daphne absolutely surrounded and camouflaged by the violets that set me on this path of destruction, of the violets that is :confused:. So my poor neglected veggie patch is still neglected:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm wondering whether they are 'Pacific Coast' Irises. I had them in my last garden and they are known to be very promiscuous - multiplying very quickly. The colour of the flowers vary, I've not seem them white but have had pale blue and various shades of pink and purple. Here are two pictures of mine.

Iris 'Pacific Coast' (1).JPG

Iris 'Pacific Coast' (2).JPG

They can be grown from seed easily but there is no guarantee of colour.

Ask a Question