Is there a rule for planting different indoor plants in one pot?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5b
Country
United States
Well my Wandering Jew only has four stems in one big pot. It looks barren. I was wondering if it would be okay to add another plant to make the pot look fuller. So is there a rule for planting different indoor plants in one pot. It really looks sad but it is very healthy. I have one of my poinsettias next to it now and if I didn't know better I think the Wandering Jew likes being next to it, it's leaning toward the poinsettia.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
My mom never followed any rules. When I was a kid, we used to have big pots with four or five different plants in them. I can't remember the plants but they all did well. My mom would move them into different pots if they got too big. I remember when I got sent to live with my grandparents, a bunch of her plants came with me and I was in charge of watering them. There was a lot of them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The only rule is that they need to have the same "likes" - as far as watering and sun requirements go. Other than that, go for. I think that potted plants are always more interesting when you include several in one pot. I like a tall, spiky one in the back, with a trailing one in front and something kind of wispy or "ferny" on the side. Also, try to incorporate different colors if possible. The mixture of textures, colors and habits really make the pot "pop".

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
Based on my experience, I found no problem in growing more than one plant in a single pot. I just make sure that all of them get the enough nutrients and minerals they need and one of this is space so when they seem to become bigger or when I can notice that they are in need of a wider area, I transfer it to a larger one or place it on a pot of its own.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
The only rule is that they need to have the same "likes" - as far as watering and sun requirements go. Other than that, go for. I think that potted plants are always more interesting when you include several in one pot. I like a tall, spiky one in the back, with a trailing one in front and something kind of wispy or "ferny" on the side. Also, try to incorporate different colors if possible. The mixture of textures, colors and habits really make the pot "pop".

Galmal is right. You really don't want to toss a cactus in with a wandering jew. My mom would combine a wandering jew, a spider plant (what I called them), and one of these plants that had round greenish purple leaves. It looked really cool. They all like sunlight and moist soil.

Ask a Question