Forum rules?

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hmm... I didn't think there were any written rules. I assumed if someone was breaking a rule, the mods/administrators would give them a warning in the thread, or send a PM.

Through reading various threads, I did see one member who got a warning for being rude, and later was told they were not welcome here. :eek:

:unsure: But I'm fairly new here; I always could be wrong. (I can't find rules, either.) :oops:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I'm also fairly new myself. I actually joined 2 days before you. :)

I think it would be helpful to have some rules here, that way members can know what's wrong or write. I wanted to know the guidelines for what you can have in your signature, but I can't see any rules. I looked in all the boards and couldn't find any guidelines stickied or any on the navigation bar. o_O

Last edited:

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I kind of like the no rules format. Basic forum etiquette is all we really need. And everyone here seems to follow that, so it's good.

I don't know, if you feel your signature may be questionable, you could always send a PM to a mod/administrator. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
When i first joined in February, i also looked for the rules. All the other sites i have visited have rather lengthy sets of rules but they all boil down to the same things. Common courtesy/civility, respect, and consideration. Then, like @MaryMary, i began to appreciate the Administrators for trusting that the members will conduct themselves following these basic civil social behaviors. And i must say, this is the most polite and civil site i have participated in and i have so much appreciation for that.

MaryMary also mentioned the person who was told he was not welcome here. I remember this. This member blasted through most of the forums with provocative and inappropriate posts, really like a bully looking for a fight. I remember @Becky called him on his behavior (very nicely) 3 times without any results. Then he disappeared from the site altogether. I have seen some bad behavior on garden forum sites but nothing that compared with this.

When i first found this site, before becoming a member, i read through some of the posts and conversations and was so impressed by how helpful, considerate, and informative the conversations were. That is why i joined and i am really glad that i did. And because of the membership in general, i suspect that most of the guests who become members come for the same reason and this has created a uniquely enjoyable membership group, in my opinion.(y)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Beverly, he did not disappear quietly into the night. Becky very politely told him off, and then said, "You are not welcome here." :ROFLMAO: . . (Post #47 in "Off topic: Pets")

I was reading his hateful comments about cats and how stupid/useless they were, and I was getting madder by the minute! "Your own cat doesn't even recognize you..." Are you kidding me? Little Man not only knows his name, but he knows the two nicknames we use for him the most. I was mentally roughing out the second draft of a truly scathing reply.when Becky routed him, and I tell you, I cheered!! (y) :cool:

The man was a troll. (n)

As long as any problems are handled so quickly and neatly, I don't feel the need for rules. CrazyConure, I am sure they would respond to your PM, and overall, that would probably be easier for them than writing rules. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@MaryMary there is a feature in the personal profile where you can opt to "ignore" another member or members. After reading 3 or 4 of his posts, i chose to "ignore" this person. When an "ignored" person posts, the posts do not show up on the threads. There is a note when an "ignored" person posts that says something like <<an ignored person has posted to this thread. If you would like to see the post click here>>, so you know if the ignored one has posted to a thread you are participating in and you do have the option of reading the post (which kind of defeats the purpose). I did not choose to reveal what this person had to say because i already knew the nature of his posts. At any rate i did learn about the "ignore" function and now know how it works, but don't anticipate having to use it again:). Yes, i did read @Becky 's responses (she was not ignored) and thought they showed admirable restraint.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
@Beverly, oh, I was aware of the ignore feature! But that was the first and only thread where I had seen any of his posts, so his spewing forth was new to me. By the time I realized I didn't like him... I already wanted to yell at him, so ignoring him was not an option at the moment. (Well... maybe after .I yelled at him! ;) :ROFLMAO: )

Knowing now that he was a problem in many posts through various forums, I agree Becky's response showed admirable restraint. Only encountering him in that thread, I understood he was a problem child... and I just liked the way she insulted him ever so politely, and unhesitatingly threw him out. (Bravo, Becky!!) :notworthy: :notworthy:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the lovely comments about the site :)

I'm also fairly new myself. I actually joined 2 days before you. :)

I think it would be helpful to have some rules here, that way members can know what's wrong or write. I wanted to know the guidelines for what you can have in your signature, but I can't see any rules. I looked in all the boards and couldn't find any guidelines stickied or any on the navigation bar. o_O

We don't currently have any forum rules in place as such, as generally speaking everyone is very polite and friendly. There has been the odd incident where a member has caused problems, but this is very rare (thankfully!)

In terms of what you can have in your signature, I am happy for regular-posting members to have a link to their own blog / website, as long as it is not spammy or commercial. What did you want to put in your signature?

Ask a Question